Erica's 55gal reef journey

nw2salt08

Wow! I can't believe that I haven't updated this thing! lol It's been a little while. So many things going on that I actually forgot that I even had a diary for my tank. Well, here are some old pics from the past. Not many. A lot of things have changed since then. I'll have to dig around and find some more pics. And tomorrow I'll be taking updated ones for you. Don't want you all thinking I have a mystery tank.

nw2salt08

Ok, here are the updated photos. Mind the cyano in there. I've been battling it like crazy and it seems to be winning. Water changes have become pretty regular and feeding has been cut but it still seems to take over. Phosphates are 0 and I have a Chemipure Ultra bag in the filtration system along with a protein skimmer working away. Wondering what else to do.
I feel like this stuff is going to win. GRR!!

nw2salt08

So here are the updated photos of my aquarium. Let me know what you think. All advice is welcome!
Water Params:
Sg: 1.025
pH:8.2
Temp:80
Alk:9
Cal: 420
Phos:0
Nit:0
Trite:0
Lighting has been upgraded to VHO.

lietz06

Looks great! Love the aquascaping....maybe add a couple more rocks on the left side...but it looks awesome! what kind of brain is that?

nw2salt08

That's a green lobo brain that I got off a guy who was breaking up his 225 gal reef. It's my husband's pride and joy in there.
I also go the yellow polyp/turquoise mushroom rock next to it and the huge bubble coral that my maroons host.

meowzer

Looks great....for the cyano, have you tried adding a phospure pad? also have you tried siphoning it off the rocks, maybe add another powerhead to the right side, and have it blowing over the sand some more...
how long are your lights on for?

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3152833
Looks great....for the cyano, have you tried adding a phospure pad? also have you tried siphoning it off the rocks, maybe add another powerhead to the right side, and have it blowing over the sand some more...
how long are your lights on for?
Not a phospure pad...I have a Chempure bag in the filter. I siphon like crazy. I've been thinking of upgrading my powerheads too. My lights are on for 8 hours a day.

krista921

that bubble is absolutly beautttttiful.
as for your cyno whats your cuc.
i suggest a couple of conches and maybe a cucumber my friend got two conches and a cucumber for her 30 and it cleared up her sand in days... literaly

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by Krista921
http:///forum/post/3154107
that bubble is absolutly beautttttiful.
as for your cyno whats your cuc.
i suggest a couple of conches and maybe a cucumber my friend got two conches and a cucumber for her 30 and it cleared up her sand in days... literaly
Thanks.... I have 12 ceriths, 2 nassarius, sand sifter star, 6 red leg hermits, 1 various hermit and 1 blue leg hermit.
I haven't really been looking into cucumbers much. Never really been interested in them. What species did she have? What species of conch? From what I've been reserching though, there really aren't any creature that consumes Cyano. But I'll definitely appreciate the info and will research into it.

krista921

Theyre sand sifters both of them they such all the algea out of the sand ive watched em do it its incredible. The cucumbers actually called a sand sifting cucumber and i can find the exact conch my friend has but her sand looked just like yours. the cucumber is on sale here at swf.com for 9.99 hers is yellow but im sure they all do the same thing. i think its better then dosing w chemicals...more natural

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by Krista921
http:///forum/post/3154778
Theyre sand sifters both of them they such all the algea out of the sand ive watched em do it its incredible. The cucumbers actually called a sand sifting cucumber and i can find the exact conch my friend has but her sand looked just like yours. the cucumber is on sale here at swf.com for 9.99 hers is yellow but im sure they all do the same thing. i think its better then dosing w chemicals...more natural
I don't dose with chemicals either. The closest I come to it is calcium here and there. And I recently had to do my alk because it was a little low but other than that I really don't use anything else. I won't use chemical warfare to get rid of my cyano.