Ethnicity in the hobby?

maryg

Well, my dad is from Pennsylvannia and is part Cherokee. My mom is from Verona, Italy. I am a first generation American on her side. My parents met in Europe in the late 60's when my dad was in the Army.
I am very proud of my Italian heritage.

salt life

Originally Posted by MaryG
http:///forum/post/3015061
Well, my dad is from Pennsylvannia and is part Cherokee. My mom is from Verona, Italy. I am a first generation American on her side. My parents met in Europe in the late 60's when my dad was in the Army.
I am very proud of my Italian heritage.
I'm italian too on both sides

mantisman51

Hmmm, since aquaria started in China and Japan about 2500 years ago, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of aquaria being a "white" thing. I've also never looked at peoples posts and wondered, "Is he/she white/black/(fill in the blank)?" To me, ethnicity in aquaria is like jelly beans in carpet installation-where's the connection? Does it matter?

miaheatlvr

Asian/Latin here, Born in NYC where else? Both halves were a very big part of my upbringing.. Grew up in CT and NOW live in South Beach.
I dont want to stereotype here but I would say that this overall is a very caucasian hobby. Im talking the SALT WATER AQUARIUM that takes the time, money and dedication. Im not talking about a goldfish tank, ciclid or oscar tank(not to say not as difficult or important to those people) The posters here are mostly caucasian from what im seeing over the 3 years. I would say 80%? HENCE Most of the forum in Republican Conservative! That part cannot be disputed .

demartini

Mom's side: My Great Grandfather owned a town in Italy. His wife and kids (including my grandpa lol) moved to America and they lived in Pennsylvania for a while before moving to San Francisco. My Grandma was born in Mexico and then moved to Arizona when she was a little girl.
Dad's side: My Great Grandfather came over from Genoa, Italy and started a garbage company in San Francisco with his family lol it's still around. My grandma was born in Maine. She's pretty much a mixture of everything in Europe.
Both of my grandmas have an tiny bit of Native American in them too! Cherokee and Blackfoot

mantisman51

miami, come to my town, Sierra Vista, Az. Whites clearly aren't the majority at the LFS. Maybe it's because we're next door to Ft Huachuca, but blacks and Hispanics are who I see at the LFS's mostly. My sister-in-law is black and she and most of her family (in Sacto, Ca) have aquariums. I guess that's why I don't even think of "ethnicity in the hobby". I guess keeping score is important to some folks-to each his own.

premilove

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3015103
miami, come to my town, Sierra Vista, Az. Whites clearly aren't the majority at the LFS. Maybe it's because we're next door to Ft Huachuca, but blacks and Hispanics are who I see at the LFS's mostly. My sister-in-law is black and she and most of her family (in Sacto, Ca) have aquariums. I guess that's why I don't even think of "ethnicity in the hobby". I guess keeping score is important to some folks-to each his own.
like i said this thread was mainly just out of curiosity. if i offended anyone, then i am sorry

mantisman51

You have not offended me. I was just surprised by other responses. Some of my family view my love of old Motown as strange and tell me that it is odd for a 40 y/o white guy to love it so much. Music, like aquaria, is universal to me. So, I understand the point of your thread.

E

eric b 125

i really want to reply to this thread, but because it involves race/politics/finances, i feel like on this board i would be smart to remain mute.

premilove

i dont think that would be an issue eric, sep was already all over this thread! you are good to post bro.

E

eric b 125

thats all good and fine. i honestly have love for sep. the reason i opt not to post my REAL feelings on the topic ends up being political, and i've learned that this site is not a place for someone of my political 'beliefs'. i'm not here to argue, or to waste my time supporting why i feel the way i feel about certain things. nevertheless, i see a direct correlation b/w this hobby and certain demographics. i've seen, and participated in, the political threads here, and i choose to keep my opinion to myself to a point. all i will say is that, yes, there is a trend. (at least on this board and in my LFS).