evaporation question

twogirls

okay, just testing sump and dt, both the same at 1.024 with it being about a gallon or so low right now. I don't want to add fresh water so I am going to mix some salt water tonight to try to get it back up to 1.025-1.026.
and definitly no leak!! (that's good)

stdreb27

It can't be a calibration issue. Even if the calibration is off, it just means that 1 is not 1. The space between 1.025 and 1.023 is still .002. It will still accurately measure the change in salinity.

stdreb27

Are you testing the water right after you put the fresh water in, from the sump, maybe your are hitting your water you just topped off with and it hasn't totally mixed into the water already in the tank.

florida joe

Are you people saying you are loosing TWO gallons of water through evaporation a day ? if so after a week you need to replace 14 gallons of water geee dont think so

azaintcold

Originally Posted by florida joe
Are you people saying you are loosing TWO gallons of water through evaporation a day ? if so after a week you need to replace 14 gallons of water geee dont think so
You would be surprised. I have a 150 gallon with an automatic top off resevior. It holds about 20 gallons and I refill it every 5 - 6 days. (3-4 gallons a day)

1journeyman

Originally Posted by spanko
stdreb27, that seems to be the only logical answer here.
No, she answered this already. She's testing throughout the day.

1journeyman

I lose 3-5 gallons a day on my system of about 260 gallons.
Fans, lights, and open canopy lead to a lot of evap.

baloo6969

no your right i dont replace 2/day i replace 2~3gal/day...80deg 100gal. with MH and a wide open hood...
i've seen a 600gal and it was over 15gal/day

scsinet

Yes I lose several gallons per day on both my 55g reef and my 90FOWLR.
Just for giggles, have you tried testing the SG on your skimmer's waste? It would be insanely through the roof if that's where it was going, but at this point that's about the only thing I can think of.

twogirls

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Just for giggles, have you tried testing the SG on your skimmer's waste? It would be insanely through the roof if that's where it was going, but at this point that's about the only thing I can think of.

going to try this. give me a few minutes and I'll be back with the results.

twogirls

Originally Posted by twogirls
going to try this. give me a few minutes and I'll be back with the results.

skimmer crud was 1.013, so not the problem.
just an off question: how much should I be skimming in a 72 gallon tank. It only skims maybe 0.25 a cup a month.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Exactly... the whole "matter cannot be created or destroyed" Law kicks in at some point here. The salt is going somewhere. If she is exporting a lot of skimmate then...
Either that or there is some kind of freaky biological/chemical process occuring in her tank that is converting the NaCl into another form.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by twogirls
skimmer crud was 1.013, so not the problem.
just an off question: how much should I be skimming in a 72 gallon tank. It only skims maybe 0.25 a cup a month.
Depends on bioload, but that sounds very low.

michaeltx

do you have any temp flucuations in the tank.
refractometers are not all created the same.
some have ATC = automatic temp control some dont if yours doesnt and you are getting temp flucuations during your testing it will throw the readings off.
what brand and model do you have.
There has to be something causeing this either 1 the skimmer is skimming a lot of salt with the skimmate or your refractometer isnt ATC.
Mike

1journeyman

Mike, I thought about both of those issues... Doesn't hurt to get her response but; She's testing throughout the day and the salinity is dcreasing over a week... that seems to rule out temp.
She's stated the salinity of the skimmate is low, and she's dumping very little skimmate per month.
I'm seriously beginning to think there is something else going on that is breaking down the salinity.
Twogirls, can you list all of your equipment for us?

michaeltx

right I cought that but if the refractometer isnt ATC and the testing is at different stages during the day but the temp is steady on its changes the tests will show about the same. I have been looking for a chart I used to have that showed the computations for a non atc refractometer but cant find them anywhere.
and a chart to show temp to salinity and I have lost them somewhere in my files LOL
Mike

twogirls

It is ATC. I bought it from this site. I will do my best to list my equipment, my husband has a lot to do with the equipment, so I'll try.
Seaclone protein skimmer
maxi jet 900 powerhead
18 gallon sump/fug. (actually holds 15 g. water)
overflow and return pump (gx 4100)
heater
72 gallon tank, hood, and stand.
100 or more pound of live rock
I don't notice any temp. fluctuations in the tank. It hasn't been that hot or cold around here.

aztec reef

I say that Consistency is lacking here, He/She said that "I try to top it off every day"
So that means He/she doesn't even know how much is evaporating daily..Is it 1 or 2 gallons? daily or every two days?
Anyone that Top-offs correctly knows how much evaporation their tank does daily..Start there..