evaporation????

Hello,
I noticed that my trickle filter tank water level drop everyday close to being below the pump, therefore, I have to add about minimum 2 litres of water everyday to keep it from shooting out air into the main tank.
My question is that is it normal to have that much water dissipate/evaporate everyday?
I have my 2x48" H.O. /actinic bulbs on 12 hours cycle.
Thanks in advance

A

alti

that sounds pretty normal to me. i top off a little bit more on my 90 gal every day.

I should tell you the enviornment the tank is in...
I lived in a dry/cold area in canada average outdoor temp. is -5 to -30 C. for winter...
I have the furnace set at 20C. Helope this will help.

S

simm

Be sure to check your salinity level. Evaporation will cause salinity level to rise!!

A

alti

2 liters evaporating on a 90 gal tank will make little if no difference in salinity. just make sure to top off with freshwater not saltwater.

Thanks for the re-assurance, I will keep topping it off everyday with distilled water.
Yes, all the life forms are doing well, I couldn't believe how fast the cycle went.
The only problem I have now is that the three clowns are fighting to get into the green bubble tips anemone at night. I hope I will remain to have three and not two of them later.
:)

A

alti

id be worried about the anemone. 2 48" NO bulbs is not enough to keep it alive. having it in a new tank is pretty bad too.

You might want to add more light if you want to keep that anenome healthy.
Your signature states you only have 2 48" bulbs, normal output I presume, about 40w each. That is not enough for an anenome, IMO.
It may seem OK now, but you have only had him for long enough to tell. Just a friendly heads up!
GL.........MCF

bang guy

My system evaporated at least 5 gallons, up to 20 gallons, a day.
For your Bubbletip, Feed it as much as it will eat every other day until you get more light. You'll get a feel for how much it eats pretty quickly. Feed meaty food of Marine origin. Silversides, raw whole (head & entrails) shrimp, etc... It will be fine as long as you keep it well fed and maintain excellent water conditions. If you get more light you won't have to feed it quite so much.

evaporation is good, as i learned in science evaporization is a cooling process. and another thing I have 2*36 watts PC NO on my 55 and 3 anemones with no problems, all are alive and very healthy!

jackdp

Your evaporation rate is probably slightly high fueled by your cold enviroment. Heating systems in most homes will tend to cause the air to become drier. If it gets to be too much of a pain look into some sort of humidifier. It will help keep the evap down and even better it keeps the humans happier :D

magic

man I hate evaporation, I have a 10gl and a little evaporation kills me, my salinity just gos up and down so fast and easy, thats why I want a big tank, I really have to stay on top of it.