excellent water parameters - dying mushrooms

neubrant

I have a 55 Gallon with a 10 gallon fuge.
PH 8.3,
Nitrates, 5
Calcium at 420,
Nitrite 0.
temp 78-79
265 watts, PC lighting
50 lb. of live rock.
The tank has been running for 1 year.
Everything seems to be doing well but my blue mushrooms have died within days(twice) of putting them into the tank. (this is the first coral i've introduced into the tank)
I don't have any fish or invertabrates known to harm corals.
Thoughts?

neubrant

SG is 1.023. I don't know what the alkalinity or salinity is - to be unfortunately honest - i've never tested (or understood) these parameters
Do you suspect the cultprit lies here?

T

thomas712

Could be, you must test your salinity. Don't you have a hydrometer or better a refractometer for measuring salintiy?
If not then go to your lfs and have them test for alk and salinity.

neubrant

Thanks
If its a possible issue - i might as well invest for the long term. Can someone explain or point me to a place where Salinity and Alkanlity parameters are explained? i.e, what do they mean, what affects them, how do they affect fish/corals etc.

neubrant

Thanks
If its a possible issue - i might as well invest for the long term. Can someone explain or point me to a place where Salinity and Alkanlity parameters are explained? i.e, what do they mean, what affects them, how do they affect fish/corals etc.

ags

Your SG and salinity are the same and 1.023 is within acceptable limits.
If all you have are mushrooms do a couple small water changes each week to straighten your levels out then start dosing B-Ionic or one of the other two part alk and calcium additives.

bang guy

Your Salinity is about 33ppt (given S.G. & temp)which is a little low but well within what Mushrooms can handle.
Two things to look for:
1 - Any small flatworms on the disk area.
2 - Any LPS within 10" of the Mushroom colony.
Also keep in mind that more swing-arm type hydrometers are inaccurate.

neubrant

I checked my tank last night. I have no flat worms and no LPS in the tank.
I just noticed another anomaly. I can't see a sing snail in my tank. They're all dead. I noticed the population declining but thought it was due to blue hermits killing them.
Could the dead snails and dying mushrooms be as a result of a common problem.
I should also add that the Mushrooms look alive but are very small and shrivled looking. I'm assuming this means they're dying. Am i correct?
I'm at a loss as to what might be causing this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

neubrant

I have the Coralife PC 260 w. system with the default bulbs. That should suffice, correct?
I Haven't measured dKH in a long time - but i'll check it tonight.
I don't have any corals in the tank (unless you include a good amount of coraline algae coverage on the LR)- this was my first attempt at Corals.
Anything else that might be causing this?

neubrant

Sorry - I missed the Cu. question - i have never put Cu. in the tank and i'm the original owner.
The coraline coverage is very good in the tank - not bleaching at all.
My Shrimps and crabs and feather dusters are all fat an happy 0- no problems at all. Just snails and now the Mushroom i just added.
It just occured to me that i had some Caulerpa go sexual in my tank about 1 to 2 months ago. I've done many partial water changes since then - could this be the cause?
The algea that remains in the fuge is a thick green turf -like algea(forgot the official name) that is doing quite well.
One more point - it might just be my i magination - but the Mushrooms seemed less shriveled in the AM than they do as the day progresses - which is the oposite of what i would supsect.
Thanks to everyone who's replied. I appreciate your assistance.

neubrant

I run my acintic lights for 11 hours and the main lights for 8 hours.
I'll have to check the pH swing - but it was pretty stable last time i checked. I run the fuge 24/7 witht he lights on.