Experiment

pappa d

I'm doing an experiment for an Enviornmental Biology class I'm taking. We are trying to set up a sealed 1 gallon jar with 2 guppies and try to get them to survive the rest of the semester. Can anyone help out with some ideas as for what to put in the jar. It must be sealed and not opened up so no powerhead(the cord wouldnt let the bottle twist
) Pleas give suggestions as to what to use!!!

integral9

The nature company sells what they call "Bio Sphere's" or "Eco Sphere" which are exactly what you are trying to do w/out the guppies. Instead they have mysis shrimp and pods that feed off a piece of cholerpa. They say about 1 hour of direct sunlight a day is more than enough to sustain the ecosystem for up to 5 years.
I'd put in some sand, a little bit of macro algea and leave a little room for air so you can have some evaporation and condensation. It's a FW fish, so if you have a FW aquarium, use some of it's substrate.

integral9

Originally Posted by BellaNavis
Thats really cruel, they are going to die, I would not do that.
But it's in the name of science... so that makes it ok...

I think I did a lot worse in school with critters... ie. dissecting dead sharks and cats that were pregnant... I don't know where they came from, I didn't ask.

bellanavis

I know, I am just such an animal lover, I got out of doing all that gross stuff in school. I would not put those 2 guppies to their death, Iwould do something else, like seal up a plant, because we know it could live from some sunlight, or sometihing like that. Sorry, I just hate to hear stuff like that.

scotts

For the second time today I agree with I9. I was going to recommend looking up the bio cube thingamajigger.

30-xtra high

and pappa d, the trick is plants, if you can go buy some plants, burry the bottom in the gravel at bottom of the tank, the plants will give the water oxygen letting them breathe, and the fish can nibble on the plants, and the plants will take in the fish waste
then they can breathe, eat, and won't die from to much crap.. problem solved

phixer

Shrimp have feelings too you know, poor shrimp.
They might be able to hang if you leave a lot of area above the water line and fill it with pure O2 along with a few plants.

reefreak29

put some algea in it.i did the same thing with daphnia.i put 10 daphnia in a seeled beaker and there still alive and reproducing after 3 years

zman1

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
lol.. cuz you know how easy it is to find pure oxygen..

Go down to the shop class in your highschool, they may have an oxygas setup, if they teach welding.

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by BellaNavis
I know, I am just such an animal lover, I got out of doing all that gross stuff in school. I would not put those 2 guppies to their death, Iwould do something else, like seal up a plant, because we know it could live from some sunlight, or sometihing like that. Sorry, I just hate to hear stuff like that.
so u dont eat fish or meat? since ur an animal lover and all, not to offend im jus wondering.
hey ive seen things such as an oxygen stone but i think the plant i dea is pretty good. if u search oxygen stone it says it supplies oxygen for about a month.

bellanavis

I accualy rarley eat meat, no offence taken, we are all welcome to voice our opinion. But, thats not what this thread is about, so lets all move off the fact that I am an animal lover, and give this guy some good ideas, as many of us already have.

phixer

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
lol.. cuz you know how easy it is to find pure oxygen..
Are you kidding? Next to nitrogen gaseous O2 is the easiest gas to come by. Just visit any hospital for medical grade (more pure) 99.9% same as Aviators Breathing Oxygen or a welding supply store for industrial grade.

ophiura

It is certainly done, and certainly doable.
And if it does not work, yes, it is a valuable lesson to learn, IMO. In science, you better learn why things die, and how to learn from it. I agree do research on that ecosphere product that is EXACTLY what you are supposed to do.
All you are trying to do is create a balance. You do want extremes in light and temperature. As soon as one thing gets a bit out of balance, the whole thing goes, which is part of the lesson.
Look at some easy freshwater plants like Anacharis (Elodea) or java moss. Only problem with some is that they may overgrow the system...there is the real tricky part

Do google searches for things like "ecojar" "closed ecosystem guppies" etc