External Powerheads

enomadra

Does anyone know if their is a company out there that makes an external power head. I am thinking of switching all my powerheads to external to keep my tank temp. down.
Thanks

enomadra

I know that I have seen them before on ----, and if you are running a 55 gallon like me and have 3 powerhead in it, removing them from the water will make a difference in the water temp. The heat from the powerhead is disipated into the water. If can mount them exturnally I would be able to lower the temp in the tank and have a fan on them to keep them cool.:D

bang guy

Originally posted by Fishman830
i dont beleive it will lower the temp because the water cools them

LOL sorry, just caught this as funny. :p
Powerheads produce heat. The water cools them by absorbing the heat. This warms the water slightly ;)
enomadra - Do a search on "Closed Loop". This is what you're looking for.

T

thomas712

Wouldn't the water have to pass though the heated powerhead anyway? I'm not sure there is a way around that.
Air cooled power heads? Perhaps after much redesign the impeller could be housed seperatly from the magnetic coil by an axel or have duel impellers, but then they would become bulky.
this is why they make fans and chillers.
Just thinking out loud
Thomas

T

thomas712

Understood Guy, got it on your other post.
I was just thinking about redesigning the standard powerhead and what it would look like and well....my mind took off...next thing I knew I was standing beside myself...Yikes two of me.

enomadra

Cool, thanks for the input. I will do some research on Closed Loop systems, and I will continue my search for these rare powerheads.:notsure:
The only reason I posted this is because I saw an some of these powerheads on ----. The add said they were exturnally mounted and helped cut down on heat in the tank unlike the conventional powerhead that sits in the water and is cooled by the water which in turn heats it.
:)
OH and if I find them I will post up the name and where you can get them