external pump help

willcon

i have a 65 gallon tank with overflow, im running it into a 30 gallon sump, how many gph should my output pump be?
:happyfish
is 790 gph too much??

or should i just go with 590 gph ?? :help:
THANKS ALOT

sw65galma

Originally Posted by WillCon
i have a 65 gallon tank with overflow, im running it into a 30 gallon sump, how many gph should my output pump be?
:happyfish
is 790 gph too much??

or should i just go with 590 gph ?? :help:
THANKS ALOT

I'd go with the larger as it will be less than that with the head pressure...

thangbom

get the larger 1.. then u need to plumb a 't' into it.. the 'T' should be plumbed w/ 2 valved.. 1 befor the 't' and 1 on the branch off that will lead water back into the sump.. that way ... if u need to lessen the water return to the main display.. u just kinda open the valve on the branch off...the other valve is just for safty reasons like if u wanted to change your set-up somewhere down the line....

kdfrosty

Using a pump rated at 790gph at four feet height will get you somehwere right around 500gph max after loss. Depends on the size hose/pipe you will use as return, and if there are any intersections or flow regulators in the tubing/pipe....all of this things will contribute to a loss as well.
I was under the impression that you need to have a pump rated higher than you overflow....Can anyone say if this will work? Squidd??

bang guy

What the rating of your overflow?
When you do the plumbing make sure there's a valve on the output side of the pump so you can slow it down if need be.

bigb

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
I was under the impression that you need to have a pump rated higher than you overflow....Can anyone say if this will work? Squidd??
Overflow should be rated higher than return pump, if the other way you'll flood the tank.

squidd

Overflow should be rated higher than the "ACTUAL" amount the pump will return to the tank, after subtracting for head loss, line size and elbow restriction...
Often times the pump "rating" will be higher than the overflow rating... But the actual amount reaching the tank is less...