FAQ Purchasing Live Rock

mudplayerx

The main purpose of using uncured rock to cycle a tank is the cost. Cured rock is likely to undergo dieoff in an uncycled tank, so save a good 20-50% of your cost per pound and buy uncured.

dskidmore

Originally Posted by F1shMan
Yup I already have a test kit for my 75 FOWLR. When you say dead shrimp what do you mean?
If nothing on the rock you bring in dies, then you need something to rot in the tank and cause your first ammonia spike. A raw shrimp works well, other alternatives are fish food (AKA "feeding an empty tank") and lab grade pure ammonia (added by the drop). After your test kit shows ammonia go up and back down, you know the bacteria load in the tank is large enough to support your first fish. If you never see ammonia or nitrites go up, you'll never know what the load capacity is.

hispaniola

I do keep in mind local laws. This will actually be strange for me because when I dove frequently, I never touched anything in the ocean - I know that pretty much everything inside the deep blue is alive and just touching it hurts it. So going in to get some rock is breaking a rule that I thought that I would never break.
I guess I will get most of my rock and cure it. Then I'll try to put some rocks straight from the ocean (always in water) into my tank. I feel like Jaques Cousteau :)

hispaniola

Originally Posted by DSkidmore
Watch any sponges that come in very carefully for die-off, and remove them if necessary.
Got it.
Thanks.

f1shman

my 75 gallon was cycled with dameselfish, so if you cycle with LR & LS then you skip the damsels right? (i know im spelling that wrong) so when you say first fish, can i get like any fish that doesnt require a seasoned tank. or would you recommend clownfish, because they are the next stage of "hardiness"

f1shman

I know! I'm saying this time I'm cycling with LR + LS only. He said after the ammonia level is down I'm ready for my first fish. Could I get something less hardy then a damsiolle fish? Such as like 2 clownfish

dskidmore

Originally Posted by F1shMan
I know! I'm saying this time I'm cycling with LR + LS only. He said after the ammonia level is down I'm ready for my first fish. Could I get something less hardy then a damsiolle fish? Such as like 2 clownfish
Ammonia and nitrites need to be 0, and then do whatever water changes necessary to bring nitrate to 10-20. Then you can get any reasonable beginner fish. Obviously a mandrin or anything else that lives primarily off of pods is not going to do well in a new tank. Avoid anything with the (NG) label. Clowns would make a great start.

f1shman

ya ill probably definitly get two clownfish. What about coral, when can you start adding them? As soon as the cycle finished could I add like a mushroom? Or how seasoned does the tank need to be before you starting adding corals?

airforceb2

You should be able to get away with adding the hardier corals about a month after your cycle ends. Shrooms, Leathers and Zoos should be alright. Just make sure that you don't add everything at once. Let your tank adjust to the bio load between each addition.

f1shman

Yup I know. So how long should I wait to add a hammer coral or frogspawn? and then how long for clams? (im guessing a long time for clams)

f1shman

sweeeet! i just noticed this site (Dr....) that has aquacultured pumping xenia sweet! I've always wanted these!! They are considered polyps so could I get them before 6 months?

airforceb2

As long as your water is PERFECT for a month straight and you have the lighting. Also research what kind of flow your additions require and make sure you have the proper powerheads turning the water.

f1shman

ya ill have 280 watt power compact/metal halide combination fixture, which is 7 watts per gallon, i was told i can have anything with this and the metal halide gives you a better water penetration rate as well.

airforceb2

Sounds like that should work. Just keep in mind that in a small tank, the water can get out of wack real quick. Keep a close eye on the parameters before and after you place the corals in.