favorite quote thread

lovecraft

"One can judge from experiment, or one can blindly accept authority. To the scientific mind, experimental proof is all important and theory is merely a convenience in description, to be junked when it no longer fits. To the academic mind, authority is everything and facts are junked when they do not fit theory laid down by authority."-"Doctor Pinero" in Life Line (1939)
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
" - The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (1966)
My personal favorites and what I live by:
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it anyway.
"
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
"
Both quotes from Time Enough for Love (1973)

S

sudc

Here's one of my many favorites. I'm sure some of you can recognize it.
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

sepulatian

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends.

teen

"Evil will only prevail when good men fail to act."
"Failure is not falling down, but refusing to get up"
"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on."
"The truth hurts, but denial's what will kill you." -August Burns Red
"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

sepulatian

Failure is not falling down, but refusing to get up"
Success is 1/4 knowledge, 1/4 experience, and 1/2 dumb luck

teen

"Life passes most people by while their busy making grand plans for it."
"Live today like there is no tomorrow but learn from today as if you will live forever."
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will be at peace" ---Jimi Hendrix
"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it."
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."
"for a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin...but there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. then life would begin. at last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."
- alfred souza
"in the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
- martin luther king, jr.
"never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway."
- elbert hubbard

zman1

The truth hurts, doesn't it, Oh sure, maybe not as much as landing on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts!
Lt. Frank Drebin

sepulatian

"never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway."
- elbert hubbard
so very true!!!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by zman1
The truth hurts, doesn't it, Oh sure, maybe not as much as landing on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts!
Lt. Frank Drebin
OUCH!!!!

teen

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
"...My feet is my only carriage, so I've got to push on through...Everything is gonna be alright!" - Bob Marley
"...In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes" - Ben Franklin
"I take my desires for reality because I believe in the reality of my desires" - Anonymous graffiti,

[hr]
Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato
Words build bridges into unexplored regions. - Adolf Hitler
"Always remember the pain of defeat, and never let it happen again." - Dan Gable
Feelings are not supposed to be logical. Dangerous is the man who has rationalized his emotions.- David Borenstein
[Luke:] I can’t believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.

m0nk

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought."
Siddhartha Gautama, aka. Buddha.

ric maniac

democracy is two hungry wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner, liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Thomas payne