Favorite Shrimp???

1guydude

Title speaks for itself. I have one last large hermit in my tank who needs to be donated and traded in for a shrimp im thinkin(his appetite is getting big too). Any thoughts on this and which one. I really enjoy the fire shrimps. My tank is only 36 gal and not a "reef" yet.

1guydude

shoot i forgot to mention i have a six-line wrasse and supposably have a canary wrasse as well (MIA). Is this a problem if the shrimp is larger than the fish?> i figured they only ate the smaller cleaner shrimps not the skunk shrimps.

btldreef

For functionality, Skunk Cleaner's are my favorite.
The absolute neatest: Pistol and Mantis shrimps.

monsinour

I have had skunks, fire, and peppermint shrimps in my tank. The fire shrimp had a great personality and would always put on a show at feeding time. The peppermints just stuck to being concealed and never came out. Most of the ones I have gotten have perished in the tank. My skunk that I have now, has a great personality as well. He is always active and putting on shows. He does his job rather well as I have found him eating a dead bristle worm, all kinds of dead snails, his own molts, pieces of the algea strips, mysis and brine, and whatever he find on my hands and arms when they are in the tank. I would vote for a skunk shrimp and would really suggest a pair of them.

1guydude

Quote:
Most of the ones I have gotten have perished in the tank.
I would vote for a skunk shrimp and would really suggest a pair of them.
hmm... r these animals fragile? Did u have something eat them monisour? I had a canary wrasse but i believe he is gone cuz i havent seen him since the day after i got him. :( Stupid strawberry hermit. Anyways i would love to get two but my tank is a 36 bowfront u think thats enough room for two? I also have 3 emeralds sooooo.....

btldreef

2 skunks in a 36 would be fine. I've found that they do better in pairs for some reason. Your hermit and emeralds should not be eating them.
Do you have a lid or canopy on your tank? The wrasse may have jumped.

1guydude

I have a glass top made by Aqueon i believe. I left the back plastic piece off, so about 2" or so is not covered. I couldnt find the fish on my floor anywhere and i havent seen a skeleton or body in the tank. No amonia spike, so i dont think he died in their. Its like he was abducted by aliens or something. lol . Maybe my two small dogs got to him before me idk. Good to know they do well in pairs! Thxs fellow salters.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/384697/favorite-shrimp#post_3371238
hmm... r these animals fragile? Did u have something eat them monisour? I had a canary wrasse but i believe he is gone cuz i havent seen him since the day after i got him. :( Stupid strawberry hermit. Anyways i would love to get two but my tank is a 36 bowfront u think thats enough room for two? I also have 3 emeralds sooooo.....
my pepps perished due to, hell i have no idea. Something in my tank ate them. I have a feeling the first few perished to the fire shrimp with the latest perishing to the skunk. The ones in between, I have no idea. I have no proof of any of the acusations. I have one very tiny pepp in my sump somewhere. Its prolly dead now though. I saw it the day after I added it but not since. There is barely anywhere to hide down there.

1guydude

well i picked up 2 and the next day i came home from work only to find 1. Found wat i believe to be a molt and the one does look bigger but still no body of the MIA one. I have a small crab hiding in the darkness. I believe he is a boxer crab but idk, could he be the villian???

monsinour

I am assuming you picked up 2 skunk shrimp and found a molt, right? The molt would be typical for a new introduction to the tank as almost all of my shirmp I have had have molted within 2 days of being introduced into the tank. This molt could be contributed to the stress of acclimation and new enviroment for the shrimp. I would not count the other shrimp out just yet. One of my pepps went on sabatical for over a week without being seen. Then he showed up under some rocks and started acting 'normal.' Then it disapeared again. I havent seen that shrimp in about 4 weeks now so I really dont know if it is alive or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384697/favorite-shrimp#post_3371286
I have one very tiny pepp in my sump somewhere. Its prolly dead now though. I saw it the day after I added it but not since. There is barely anywhere to hide down there.
I saw this guy last night and gave him a food pellet and he chowed down on it. He is still the same size, but alive. This is good news for the tank.

1guydude

indeed im happy to hear that!
Quote:
I saw this guy last night and gave him a food pellet and he chowed down on it. He is still the same size, but alive. This is good news for the tank.
idk they were so buddy buddy i just cant imagine one like just up and ditching the other. I guess he could be hiding. IMOE when something just goes MIA i never c it again.....

btldreef

If you found a molt, it is likely that the one that molted is hiding. Right after they molt, they're weaker and need to give their exoskeleton time to harden and they will go into hiding.

btldreef

When you feed today, turn all flow off and if he's in there, he'll be more willing to come out as the food won't float to him as easily.

1guydude

hmm good tip thxs never thought of that. So i usually feed 3 times a day lol should i slow down (dumb question i know) I feed pe mysis, brine, and marine flake...no real order like sometimes its brine and others mysis ect. breakfeast lunch and dinner right ???

btldreef

I only feed my fish once a day meat and once a day algae (on top of the algae they graze at all day).
Ditch the flakes, you're just polluting your water.
How are your readings? How much are you feeding each time? Most tanks can sustain on once a day. You don't really have any fish in there that NEED to be fed multiple times a day, I'd go with just once. If you're doing three VERY SMALL feedings, it's okay, but not necessary.