Feather Duster

nofish4u!!

This may be a stupid question, but do you need special lighting to keep a feather duster? I would like to get a few and want to make sure I have proper lighting before I purchase. Thanks for any help you can offer.

nygel

im pretty sure it doesnt need special lights, i have one as a hitchiker and am going to purchase a hawaiian one soon, but u might want to double check, but im almost positive u dont need anything special for them

lazarus

can i jump in here? my fd just jettisoned....but only the "feather" part and not the worm part. is that normal....or did it just commit suicide?

nofish4u!!

I thought I saw on a different post that if it falls apart like that, that the FD died/is dying. Definately get a second opinion though.

lazarus

yeah i saw that it might push another feather out....will keep my fingers crossed for it...it was the nicest of the lot!

fraggle_a

No, dusters requier no special lighting.
They will need Phytoplancton however to help them thrive.
Iv played with a few and found a low current area is a place they will be happiest.
If you have a clown and no anemonie, dont be surprised if it tries to host with the Duster.
If the uster is happy it will attach itself to the sand or rock you place it on.
Dusters tube will grow slowly, layers get deposoted at the very end.
Dusters will shed their feathers, there are a few reasons for this. Iv seen it happen twice, once due to shock and once because ???. The shocked one died after crawling from its tube and getting too close to my LTA.
If your duster finds itself in a bad location, it will eject itself from the tube and go wandering. At this point they are very vunerable (especialy to anemonies darnit!) so keep an eve on it if it starts to pull from the tube.

elitephoto

FD is nature do toss thier crowns so dont be surprised if it happens, its completely normal and will grow back. feather dusters are a type of tube worm and dont require any special lighting.