Feather Star AKA Sea Lily

mproctor4

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these? We got him about a week ago, so far so good. I normally don't impulse buy but couldn't resist. There were only 2 and I have never seen them in our area before. The LFS we got him from usually gives good advise or I would have left it there until we did some more research. I was told they filter feed just like a feather duster. So far we have been feeding coral frenzy, marine snow, and roto feast. Anyone have any suggestions? It is really interesting to watch him, he moves like a Tarantula. My husband named him Hairy Booger

Attachment 242360Attachment 242361

hunt

feather stars are extremely hard to keep.
The longest ive read about someone keeping one was for around a year. Most die withen a month in the aquarium because of there speacialized needs.

mproctor4

Handbanana--thanks for your nice comment.
I've tried to google them--most of the imformation is about where they live on the reef (even that is contridictory) and about their anatomy. I've read that they are "difficult to keep due to their specialized feeding requirements". The only thing it says about it is that they are filter feeders!!! I guess I'm gonna keep feeding it the way I feed my feather dusters and hope for the best. We saw a dark red one today at the LFS, he said they hadn't had one in a very long time. It was BEAUTIFUL, but no way would I spend that kind of $$ on it without knowing how it will do long term.

xcali1985

Ive been told that depending on size a nice shot of oyster eggs twice a day is good for them. Ive been researching them for over 6 months now and finally have mine coming in tuesday. Im excited.

mproctor4

THANK YOU Spanko and xcali1985. That is a great web site.
What color are you getting? It is really cool to watch him "walk" around. I saw a video of one swimming--that is neat too!

handbanana

That was a great link spanko!
Hey Xcali, could you post pics when you get it and Mproctor, be sure to keep us updated! these are really cool looking critters and I will be interested on how they do.
the ocean never ceases to amaze me now. What an amazingg starfish!!

mproctor4

WOW.. That is an amazing tank! Too tired to read it all right now, but I am book marking it for future reference/reading. His photos are incredible. xcali1985--you should check that site out. Thanks Spanko.

cranberry

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3269130
Want to see someone really dedicated to these creatures?
And all keepers should be as dedicated, and willing to do what this guy is doing, if they want to bring one of these critters into their homes.

spanko

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3269138
And all keepers should be as dedicated, and willing to do what this guy is doing, if they want to bring one of these critters into their homes.
Agree here, you have probably seen Uhuru's tank? First link here.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Uhuru%27s+NPS+Elos+Mini
These folks have dedicated there critter keeping to azooxanthellae critters and have spent much time, money and research on what it takes to keep them alive. And to boot they are still learning.

cranberry

Isn't his tank awesome!! I want to try something like that. Think of all the new stuff to learn when trying to get a tank like that going.

spanko

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3269142
Isn't his tank awesome!! I want to try something like that. Think of all the new stuff to learn when trying to get a tank like that going.
The part that gets me is the constant dosers feeding food and the cooling system to keep the food in so it doesn't spoil.

bang guy

This is not an animal I would reccommend for anyone other than someone willing to set up a highly specialized tank. Can you take it back to the store? I'm afraid it's doomed in your tank and importing Featherstars should be discouraged at every level.

mproctor4

The LFS might be willing to take him back, but honestly I think he would do as well in my tank as theirs. We do however have a local reef club and I know one person has his own business selling/fragging corals. I think he uses a drip system in his frag tank and his personal tank, he might be willing to take it. The sad part is we have seen 3 different LFS this week that have them in stock (after we purchased ours), apparently they only get them a couple of months a year. Of coarse all of them are saying how "easy" they are to take care of. This is why I should know better then to impulse buy!!!!!!

cranberry

It's not that they would do better at the LFS, it's that you wouldn't be supporting the profit and sale of these critters and sending them a message at the same time. We stop buying and they'll stop selling. They made a profit from you... so they'll bring in another doomed specimen for the next guy they can make a profit from.

xcali1985

Color: Green
Link: I saw that link about a month ago during my research.
Photos: absolutely. Camera already charged and ready to go.