Feed Bowl

indjen98

Ok I hope I dont sound dumb here. Can someone please tell me what the heck a feed bowl is and how it works??? I use frozen mysis and brine shrimp. I alternate them. I add 1 frozen cube to a little of the tank water in a small cup, and mix a little. The tanks water is just warm enough to defrost the cube. Then I dump a little in at a time. I do this about 3 times a day, and they seem to be happy. Does a feed bowl take care of this or what???
Thanks to all.

meowzer

A feed bowl is just a bowl tghat you put your mysis in...I find that if I hold the mysis between my fingers, and when in bowl, release slowly the mysis will stay in the bowl...I also let some float/sink in the tank cause my horses seem to like to hunt it...I do this 2x a day.

sueandherzoo

A feed bowl is an option but not a necessity in a horse tank. I like having one in there because sometimes I get nervous that maybe they aren't "finding" enough food floating around the tank so when I see them hitched at the dish and eating their hearts out I can breathe a little easier. Also, if you dump a bunch in the tank you never know how much they are getting and how much is lodged and decaying somewhere creating bad water parameters. If there is ever leftover (God forbid!) in the dish you can suck it back up with the turkey baster and dispose of it.
JMO.
Sue

teresaq

I use a clear tube that is long enough to reach the bowl, pour the mysis in the top and it will sink to the bowl. It just keeps it all in one place.
on a side note. you should only be feeding mysis. frozen brine is does not have enough nutrition for adult horses.
TeresaQ

pledosophy

I mounted a mussel shell to a mag float, then hang it on the back wall. Keeps the bristle worms out. I thaw the mysis in a cup of tank water and squirt the mysis into the shell. When I go to bed I take the mysis out of the shell and feed the corals I grow in the sump.
JME