Feeding a Small Clam?

ecooper

Folks,
I just got a 1.5" maxima (I have a 5" crocea that's doing great) for my tank. I've read the small clams are harder to keep since they require phytoplankton until they have large enough mantles for photsynthesis. Well, I feed my crocea 2 times each week just to make sure it's fine, but I figure I'll need to feed the maxima every day. Anyone feed twice daily?
My main question is: Which way does water flow through the clam? Is it the large hole or the small hole that the clam uses to bring in food? I want to make sure it's getting enough phytoplankton. I looked for clam anatomy but didn't find anything for these clams that face up (or are they really facing down?).
Thanks for any help.
Eric

bang guy

The "input" part of the clam is the larger opening. Target feeding a clam can clog the gills so it's best to just dose the phyto into the water and let the clam take what it needs.
If you feel you need to supplement more then place some tank water in a bucket and mix in some phyto until the water is a very pale green. Place the clam in the bucket for 30 min or so until the water is clear again. Don't let the water cool off too much.

nycbob

dont do anything different now. if u were feeding the crocea 2x per week, keep the same schedule. smaller clams dont need to be fed more often than larger ones. small clams just hv a harder time acclimating compared to the bigger ones.

ecooper

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2543276
The "input" part of the clam is the larger opening. Target feeding a clam can clog the gills so it's best to just dose the phyto into the water and let the clam take what it needs.
Wow, I didn't know that. Ok, I'll just continue to feed the tank. I do have the little clam as close to the hallides as I can get him. We'll see how that does.
Thanks!

ecooper

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2543654
dont do anything different now. if u were feeding the crocea 2x per week, keep the same schedule. smaller clams dont need to be fed more often than larger ones. small clams just hv a harder time acclimating compared to the bigger ones.
I'll just make certain I'm careful and watch the how little fellow does. Thanks!

jessica47421

i dont want to hijack ur thread but as i was reading this i thought it would be nice to do the bucket thing but my clam has a foot type thing out and attached to the sand. i cant move it.

tvan

For what I've read...... a clam is able to sustain itself through its' mantle it's entire life ie that's why it has all the brilliant colors. Or there would be no wild giant clams. I understand the little critters that make up the mantle also ingest nitrates.
fwiw
tvan

1journeyman

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2543654

I don't think that's entirely accurate Bob.
From what I understand, as a Clam gets larger it's mantles surface area becomes large enough to house enough photosynthetic algae to feed it. Under 4 inches or so, the clam needs supplemental feeding to make up for the deficit.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by jessica47421
http:///forum/post/2544290
i dont want to hijack ur thread but as i was reading this i thought it would be nice to do the bucket thing but my clam has a foot type thing out and attached to the sand. i cant move it.
Use a plastic container or something similar... cut it in half, to make a dome and weight it down. Place holes in it for circulation. Place bowl over clam and inject food into the water in the bowl. Remove bowl when done feeding.
As Bang said, clogging a clam can be an issue, so don't overfeed or shoot food directly into clam.

ecooper

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2544918
From what I understand, as a Clam gets larger it's mantles surface area becomes large enough to house enough photosynthetic algae to feed it. Under 4 inches or so, the clam needs supplemental feeding to make up for the deficit.
Everything I've read supporst this. I just couldn't find directions on how to feed. Thanks!

nycbob

i read small clams dont need to be fed from the book written by fatheree. i also hv 2 small clams out of 5 currently, one is a derasa and the other a crocea. both were under 2 inches when i got them. never really fed them. i hv been doing fine the since december. maybe small maxima clams need to fed often bc their mantles dont spread out as much.

candycane

You should NOT seperate the clam into a seperate small container and try to feed it that way. You might as well put a cup over it and squirt water under the lid. This stresses the clam out. Spot feeding is also not a great idea, that was already said above though.
Just turn your pumps off and give it a chance to eat. Also have you EVER read the nutritional value on the back of any phytoplankton? Look at the MEGA hight protein and fat content, LOL. They make certain foods, rotifiers, etc. to feed smaller clams. They "hiccup" just like regular sized clams. Research; Tahitian Reef Blend, if you want to see an algae based food that is up there. I think the protein content was like 65% last time I checked.
Lastly, you don't really need to feed the thing at all. Smaller clams require MUCH less food then larger ones. They can most likely survive off the carbon and nitrate that is floating around your aquarium, no feeding needed. We are talking about a SMALL clam though, about _________ in length? If it is that small, I would be more worried about shrimp in the tank eating it if you have any.

volcom69

I hardley ever feed my clams at all just light and fish pooh and thats all they really need. Everynow and then ill feed phyto to the tank, but not very often.