feeding anenome

cldburton

I read in some posts that anemone like shrimp brine or krill spot fed to them. I have been trying to use a pair of tongs to feed mine and I am having horrible luck! :(
The shrimp and krill float so when I release the food it floats to the top. Any great suggestions out there?? Also, I have read about liquid foods fed to them. What kind do you suggest and is it any easier??

T

thomas712

First you might want to soak your shrimp or krill in saltwater for a while so that it absorbs some of the water and will not float so much. Second slow your water movment if you can..ie turn off the powerheads. Your anemone should have slightly sticky arms to it, usually they will (if receptive) take your food and slowly bring in in toward the center where their mouths are.
Thomas

conundrum

I use 1/2 raw peeled shrimp, about three times a month, depending on size of anemone. Try a turkey baster with live brine for a treat. I second thomas712 post.
"If you think doubling your efforts can compensate for lack of skill, there is no end to what you can't do."

nicenakago

What kind of anemone? If it is one without a sting humans can get hurt by... use your fingers to feed it.
my bubble tips will take squid - frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms too!

doodle1800

Has anyone tried a freshwater fish, like a guppy, and fed their anenome? By using tongs and gently offering it to it.

thakr21

Mine sucks down silversides. I just place it gently towrds the middle of it and it takes its tenticles and slowly sucks in it.

buzz

I wouldn't feed anything freshwater to a marine animal. Just my opinion.
I feed my BTA squid chunks almost every day (The BTA is big, and the chunks are small), and it will grab them the second they touch it. Occasionally, it pushes them aside not wanting to eat, but not usually. I also supplement with a liquid invertebrate formula a couple of times each week.
http://www.meisalt.com/products/foods.htm
Advanced Invertebrate Formula 1
Don't be afraid to touch the tongs to the tentacles. You have to get the food on the tentacles in order for it to take it.

A

arion

EASY!
Take a tweezer put the food in between the tweezer and pinch the food till you reach the anemones mouth so that it can open its mouth and chew on it.

nicenakago

Or you could go a step further and chew the food for the anemone and stick your head in the tank and feed it like a bird. Just depends on how much you love your animals
:D
Seriously... if it is a BTA... Just use your hands! I would only use tongs if you have other peckers/pinchers in the tank that would either show interest in the food or be pissed that you were in their territory.
;)

buzz

OK...have to do it...
If you have peckers in your tank, you have more to worry about than how to feed your BTA!!!:D
There are some things not intended for saltwater usage!

cldburton

What can I say after all those message and especially the last one :D but thanks.
I am not sure if my anemone can sting or not it is a tube dwelling anemone and I am not real real eager to find out. Does anyone know?????

marco333

I have a BTA, and I feed it with my hands, and never feel a sting. You were ssaying that you can feed BTA's with your hand. Why is that possible. Do they have like a real weak sting?
thanx

nicenakago

We aren't supposed to be able to feel it. One time I was trying to peel a BTA off my rock and spent quite a while doing so (never was able to get the guy off). I did notice that my finger tips felt a little bit tender... but not painful. Then again, maybe they were just tender from being under water so long and then working them against that rock!
:eek:

oceanic

I just feed my BTA 1/2 raw shrimp about once a week. Cut it in half, and stick it on a wooden barbeque skewer, they are long enough to reach the anem. without even getting your hands in the water. Just hold it up to it's mouth and it will take it of the stick.

cb

I use those bamboo skewers that you can buy in the grocery store to feed krill to my condy. I put the krill on the end of the stick and then put down near the condy and it takes it right off with it's tentacles

beaslbob

Originally posted by Cldburton
... I have been trying to use a pair of tongs to feed mine and I am having horrible luck! :( ...

i just feed mine flake food with a turkey baster. works great. I do add a raw shrimp piece one a month or so.