Filter Problemo

blackjacktang

Alright, so on my 28g reef, i have a Rena 3 Smart Filter (hang-on) hanging off the back. And it is causing troubles! There is a lid that goes ontop of it and there is no "o-ring" type things to prevent water from leaking out of it. So it likes to leak water out the back and drip to the floor. I have tried fixing this with Reef putty, duck tape, electrical tape, and every other kind of tape. And in the end, its still leaking. So i was wondering, is there any other kind of good filter i can use for the tank? Thanks!
And what about canister filters? Are they only for Fish Only tanks?
This is the filter im using below:

meowzer

I have a cascade canister on my 54G.....it's ok, works for me anyways....A lot of people say you have to clean them weekly...blah blah, BUT I do not use the sponges...all I have in mine in chemi-pure elite and I change it every 4 months...I also like it cause it came with the top flow bar
on the 29G I have a HOB cascade 200.....it also works okay.....
IDK anything about the filter you have now.....Does it have a place for an o-ring??

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjacktang http:///forum/thread/385224/filter-problemo#post_3377516
nope, it is just a plastic lid.
Do you use the standard media for it? Or add more?
If the filter is blocked in any way, or has too much stuff in it, it will cause excess water to accumulate in the back of the filter....and then you may have some come out the top...
ALSO......can you adjust the flow? You may also want to turn it down some

blackjacktang

i have nothing added to it as i actually recent removed media from it. It does have the option to turn down the flow but it only turn it down a very small amount.

meowzer

SO have you actually tried turning down the flow? How often do you clean the media?
SEE I am thinking if all is well it shouldn;t leak....LOL....BUT I always seem to get the ODD things that happen too