Filtration clarification

dcc

The question is, do I need a filter if I have a skimmer?

The meat: Converted a 55g fresh to salt. LFS said our 80g canister filter would be adequate. Sprung a leak, replaced tank with a 75g. DEFINITELY need a skimmer, plan on getting an HOB with some overkill. No room for a sump. The more I'm learning, I'm getting the impression we don't need the canister if we do this? LFS says we need both.

We have 60lb live sand, 16-20lbs LR, 50lbs reef rock, 2 power heads. Tank is 3 months old, water prams have (finally) stablized, residents seem happy. I dislike having to piece this together but working with what we can and correcting things as I learn more.

lmforbis

as long as your bioload is not too high I think you are better off using only the skimmer and lots of live rock. The canister, if not properly maintained, can cause you more problems than it solves.

bang guy

I've never used a filter except for the occasional use of GAC to polish the water. For a reef I believe particulate filters do more harm than good.

flower

as long as your bioload is not too high I think you are better off using only the skimmer and lots of live rock. The canister, if not properly maintained, can cause you more problems than it solves.
I used a canister filter on my 90g reef for 14 years without a hiccup. The ONLY time my nitrates read high... was when I used API test kits, once it was discovered that the API ran high on Nitrate readings, I switched to SeaChem kits...the nitrates were at 1. They don't cause problems, that is a myth. Truth be told, the sump leaked, and the lifter pump clogged all the time, it was constant grief. If I ever did a sump, I would only do so if I had a predrilled tank...otherwise a canister or HOB is just fine, with half the hassles.

By the way, I didn't always maintain the canister perfectly either, still no problems.

dcc

I appreciate all the responses. We'll most likely run both then, with an emphasis on a good skimmer and consistent maintenance of the canister. Recommendations on an HOB skimmer for a 75g that could do the job on its own but won't break the bank?

lmforbis

I use a reef octopus hob currently in one of my tanks and am pretty happy with it. Not as good as the in sump skimmer I use in my other tank. In the distant past I used a Red Sea prizm, it was a piece of junk. I also have a CRP back pack that is inbetween in quality. It is really only useful in a small tank. I use it on my QT sometimes.