filtration for reef tank showdown...

maximus42

I am wanting to start building my system to prepare for a nice reef setup. If anyone would like to show off there filters, skimmers, sumps, ro's, lights, ect...
It would be greatly appreciated...

sandman12

float valve. IF u want i can take pics of my ballast, lights, chiller, and chiller controller. Dont want to take over the thread though

S

salt_hobbi

This is all I have but atleast I have the best Filstar canister lol rated for over 150 gallons and's I got a 40gallon tank, and got my chiller.

S

salt_hobbi

and Back pak 2r protein skimmer with DIY air pump/Venturi

matro

Hey hobbi, What do you do about chiller exhaust? It seems like it would work hard b/c the tank would re-absorb the heat. But then, I've never had one.

S

salt_hobbi

its no problem for me the tank is always at 74 degrees never goten higher the 76, and dont have problems with it heating up the room.

bang guy

Originally posted by salt_hobbi
its no problem for me the tank is always at 74 degrees

Are you keeping temperate animals like Florida Seahorses? Why so cold?

hurt

And a close-up of the fuge. It has a DSB, chateomorpha, a few peices of LR from my DT, and a couple of peices of xiena, that I hope will take off soon. I also have an open green brain in there, but he's about to be moved in the DT. For now I also have my protein skimmer, but once the chaeto and xiena take off I hope to retire her:)

S

salt_hobbi

no im not, but I discovered when I lowered the temp. my corals like it better for some reason so I leave it at that.

badkharma

Originally posted by salt_hobbi
no im not, but I discovered when I lowered the temp. my corals like it better for some reason so I leave it at that.

Interesting, considering that most reefs are actually 10 degrees higher than your temp on average. I keep mine at 82.

bang guy

Can't argue with success :) It does surprise me though. Most tropical corals actually stop growing below 78F.
Goes to show, do what works for you!

flatzboy

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Can't argue with success :) It does surprise me though. Most tropical corals actually stop growing below 78F.
Goes to show, do what works for you!

I agree with you on that. I go down to the keys a few times a year and over the summer we went and the water temp was reaching 88 degrees.

S

salt_hobbi

ypou know Just like you said but in a different way ''dont mess with success

maximus42

salt hobbi, I used to have a filstar on my 90 gallon fish only tank. I had to constantly clean it. or pressure would build and water would leak out of the top. Do you have that problem? Seemed to be a good filter while it was working correctly though.