filtration?

mauler

I just got a reef octopus bh 2000 and I'm just wondering can I just run the skimmeras my only filtration or should I keep my canister filter running along with it?

trigger40

I just got a reef octopus bh 2000 and I'm just wondering can I just run the skimmeras my only filtration or should I keep my canister filter running along with it?
if you can i would run both. you can run the skimmer as your only filtration but i would only do that if you have a reef set up. fish only tend to need a little more help IMO.

mauler

I think I'll run both till the skimmer is broken in and then try it with just the skimmer. Sounds good?

bang guy

If it were me I would rely on the skimmer and keep the canister for a monthly run of GAC or in case of an emergency.

1guydude

I'd run a lil hob filter with a sponge and maybe carbon or chemi pure or watever LR ect... I just remember my canister being a pain to clean and get to and wipe up the water. Hths
D

flower

I used a canister filter for 12 years without a hic-up on my reef. It ran silent, and the spray bar allowed my power heads to be pointed other places besides the surface. The biggest problem was forgetting it... I always put a little tab on the hose with the date of when it was last serviced, just so I could remember.

After my beautiful sump leaked and I had to remove it... I decided to use HOB filters just because they are so easy to service, but I pay in salt creep issues. Macroalgae is the golden ticket to no phosphates, or nitrate problems.... I don't have a reef anymore, so no skimmer. I would still run a skimmer if I ran a reef....

mauler

I think I'm gonna run the skimmer along with an aquaclear 110 with macros in it and move the canister to my reef tank in place of the 110.

I used a canister filter for 12 years without a hic-up on my reef. It ran silent, and the spray bar allowed my power heads to be pointed other places besides the surface. The biggest problem was forgetting it... I always put a little tab on the hose with the date of when it was last serviced, just so I could remember.

After my beautiful sump leaked and I had to remove it... I decided to use HOB filters just because they are so easy to service, but I pay in salt creep issues. Macroalgae is the golden ticket to no phosphates, or nitrate problems.... I don't have a reef anymore, so no skimmer. I would still run a skimmer if I ran a reef....
I don't need a skimmer if I have fish only tank. Right? What HOB filter that you are using? How is your water circulate?

flower

I don't need a skimmer if I have fish only tank. Right? What HOB filter that you are using? How is your water circulate?
Hi,

I use 2 Fluval C4 HOB on the 90g. I use 1 Fluval HOB on the 56g. Because I have seahorses, I use 3 air lines to circulate the water on the 90g, and 2 lines on the 56g. Power heads circulate the water better... but seahorses like to hitch their tails, and I was afraid they would be injured by a power head. Also I need the tank to stay cold, I run chillers on both tanks, power heads put out heat.

HOB filters are prone to making splash, which causes salt creep. When I kept corals, I ran a nitrate filter, Phosphate reactor and a skimmer in my sump, as well as an auto top off unit... Now macroalgae replaces all that, BUT...the only coral I keep are mushrooms.

You don't "NEED" a skimmer, but it is a useful piece of equipment...you can certainly keep SW fish without one. I recommend at least 2 power heads.

Hi,

I use 2 Fluval C4 HOB on the 90g. I use 1 Fluval HOB on the 56g. Because I have seahorses, I use 3 air lines to circulate the water on the 90g, and 2 lines on the 56g. Power heads circulate the water better... but seahorses like to hitch their tails, and I was afraid they would be injured by a power head. Also I need the tank to stay cold, I run chillers on both tanks, power heads put out heat.

HOB filters are prone to making splash, which causes salt creep. When I kept corals, I ran a nitrate filter, Phosphate reactor and a skimmer in my sump, as well as an auto top off unit... Now macroalgae replaces all that, BUT...the only coral I keep are mushrooms.

You don't "NEED" a skimmer, but it is a useful piece of equipment...you can certainly keep SW fish without one. I recommend at least 2 power heads.

I have a power head (for 150 gallon) & UV Stabilizer (13W) in the MT plus Hydor 600 canister, I normal have good enough water movement until I recent change the power protector , When I watching Video, most of water are crystal clear, how do I get that? Thanks.

flower

I have a power head (for 150 gallon) & UV Stabilizer (13W) in the MT plus Hydor 600 canister, I normal have good enough water movement until I recent change the power protector , When I watching Video, most of water are crystal clear, how do I get that? Thanks.
Hi,

You should have 2 power heads, one set high in the tank, and one lower to circulate all the water, and keep the rock clear of debris. Some areas will have strong flow, and others not so much...but all areas must have some flow. A cloudy tank could be from several causes, from bacterial blooms, ammonia, stirred up sand, or using the wrong kind of rock...to name a few. Water tests tell you what you need to know... What are the numbers of your test results? A skimmer will help with bacterial blooms. Running carbon will usually polish the water to crystal clear, unless the cloudy look is from sand before it settles.

Hi,

You should have 2 power heads, one set high in the tank, and one lower to circulate all the water, and keep the rock clear of debris. Some areas will have strong flow, and others not so much...but all areas must have some flow. A cloudy tank could be from several causes, from bacterial blooms, ammonia, stirred up sand, or using the wrong kind of rock...to name a few. Water tests tell you what you need to know... What are the numbers of your test results? A skimmer will help with bacterial blooms. Running carbon will usually polish the water to crystal clear, unless the cloudy look is from sand before it settles.
I am try to not over feeding this week plus no light, and it shows an improvement. In regarding water testing, I always get prefect number, until this week, the nitrates is between 0 and .025. I have another power head in the GT and wait for the Blue Tang recover.

mauler

If your nitrates are almost 0 then I wouldn't worry about them. What about your other test ammonia, nitrite, ph,....

mauler

It seems like you have a bacterial bloom then just try a water change and see if it clears up any.