Filtration

tlk

I normally post in the New Hobbyist board, but I figured this would be the best place for my question because I want to get where you guys are now.
I am wondering how necessary it is for a better filter that what i am currently using (emperor 400) so I can be succesful with fish, inverts and soft corals. I know that I need a protein skimmer. Do I really need a trickle filter or am I ok with what I have if I add more live rock.
Thanks

timsedwards

HI there,
What do you mean by trickle filter? If you mean the type which is bio-balls (the little balls with huge surface area to increase bacterial growth) then no, if you want a reef, avoid these. SOme people have them (including me but i am getting rid of them but you have to do it slowly) but the majority of people will say these are not recommended for the reef.
Yes you will need a protein skimmer, a necessity.
The best filters are natural ones, plenty of live rock and live sand. I know some people on this board who have 100% natural filtration. However, that takes time to establish. Get as much LR as you can afford, and create a DSB with LS and that will get you off great. I would recommend a cannister filter, if only somewhere to store some mediums such as carbon/PO4 sponge etc if needed.
Hope this helps,
Tim.

bang guy

I have 100% natural filtration. It is my opinion that a healthy live deep sand bed (with hordes of bugs & worms) and a lot of water flow will be sufficient filtration for more bio load than you can practically fit in a reef tank.

T

thomas712

On a 75 gallon tank with one hang on 400 and one powerhead. Sounds like its a little poor on the circulation side of things. Good that you have 80 pounds of liverock, and some sand, 40 pounds of sand sounds like it might not even cover an inch does it? Your tank just isn't turning over enough per hour.
I would increase the ciruculation, order two maxi jet 600, 4 would be better. Your shooting to make that rock work for you by pushing the water through as much of it as possable, also to keep the detruis in suspention so that it can be removed by the mechanical filtration.
You do not have to add a trickle filter or Wet/dry, or even a sump but I would increase your water flow. The sump idea is not a bad idea, as it gets your equipment out of sight of the main tank, you can add a prefilter to help clean the water, a protien skimmer, put your heater in...I'm sure you know all that though.
Canister filters? you would be better off buying the powerheads and another emp 400 and add those to the tank IMO, IME. Canister can have their uses, but they can be a pain to clean and they don't add enough water circulation, they will trap waist and cause nitrates. They are good to polish the water and run carbon and PO4 removers in.
So I say increase your water flow, and look into the idea of a sump with good return pump. Get a skimmer. Most hang on tank ones do not do as well as the in sump modles.
Thomas

tlk

(with hordes of bugs & worms)

I have this post on the "new Hobbyist" board. I discovered some worm and bug like creatures running around on the sand. They only come out at night. they range in size from around .25 to .5 inches. Are those the "bugs and worms" that you are referring to?

tlk

also thanks everyone. I will increase my circulation asap and add more live rock. As for the question on sand, 40lbs gave me around 1 1/2 inches deep of coverage. I will add more sand if you think I ought to, but I would prefer to spend the money on more rocks if thats ok.

timsedwards

Hi tlk,
Firstly, your tank your choice :)
I would advise getting more LS and having a DSB. They are invaluable to the reef and a very good idea for natural filtration. A DSB officially isabout 4" or more deep.
Yes circulation is a major influence on the wellbeing of a tank that is often looked over, mainly by me! A multitude of sins can be redeemed by increasing circulation with a $20 powerhead.
All the best,
Tim.