Finally took the leap and jumped in!

khaari

Well after a few years of researching on and off, I finally jumped in and set my tank up Friday. :jumping: It's a 29 gal DT with 10 gal sump/fuge. Running a 150w HQI 14K sunpod fixture. Filtration is a HOB overflow rated for 600 gph with a rio 2100 for return.Running a Prizm Deluxe skimmer rated up to 100 gal. 2 Maxijet 900's on each end for flow. 23# base rock and 33# fully cured LR with an extra 2# rubble in the sump. approx 40-45# pink fiji sand and about 10-15 # pink fiji in the sump. Tossed in a raw shrimp fri night and still not registering any ammonia as of today.
temp 80 F
SG/Salinity 1.026/35 ppt
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
ph - 8.0 (attempting to buffer with Kent superbuffer-dKH, just waiting 24 hrs before retesting)
dkh - 10
calcium - 500
phosphates - 0
using RO/DI with 0 tds. water from tap registers 157 tds.

khaari

couple of pics of sump/fuge
Prizm is on left with drain from overflow. Rio 2100 returning water to DT from right side. Middle section is approx 15# fiji pink sand with 2# LR rubble. Mixed fiji with tonga branch. Last pic is a cool coral skeleton looking rock in the main tank.

khaari

thanks just trying to be patient and take my time setting up my first SW tank. I figured after about 5 years of researching on and off it was about time I finally got my feet wet. I hope to be able to share more with everyone as my tank matures and I get to put all my research to work.

jasony

Originally Posted by Khaari
thanks just trying to be patient and take my time setting up my first SW tank. I figured after about 5 years of researching on and off it was about time I finally got my feet wet. I hope to be able to share more with everyone as my tank matures and I get to put all my research to work.

what do u plan to stock it with?

khaari

I plan on turning it into a reef mainly. I'm looking to add a few softies like ricordea, frogspawn, candycane, and maybe a bubble coral. Might try sps and a clam or two later once the tank has had time to mature. As for fish I'm only looking to add a pair of ocellaris clowns and a yellow watchman goby.

autofreak44

thats the exact setup i wanted, too bad i didnt have enough money for it. looks AMAZING

good thing you did your research, thats probably the #1 mistake in this hobby.
i would think the shrimp would have registered by now, what testing kit are you using?
again, it looks great

khaari

using aquarium pharmaceuticals, I know its on the very very low end of test kits but I also took it by the LFS, the owner uses salifert for his own tanks and tested mine for me. Also came up zero. I too thought I would have some ammonia registering by now as well but possible the 35# of cured LR and rubble may have helped? :notsure:
Thank you for the compliments I can't wait until I can finally add a cleanup crew just so I have something to watch. Other than a small colony of tiny featherdusters and the obligitory bristleworms on the rock I didnt get much as far as hitch hikers. I did get a shrimp of some kind but havent seen it since friday when the rock went in.
It's exciting to finally have something to show for my efforts :)

khaari

go for it!
I got my design from looking at plans others had put up in the DIY section and modified it a bit as real estate is prime in a 10 gal. It also helps that I used a HOB skimmer too, so I just needed enough space for the drains and heater. I also credit renogaw for the idea of using eggcrate to hold up the baffles and also as a divider that doesnt inhibit flow.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Khaari
go for it!
I got my design from looking at plans others had put up in the DIY section and modified it a bit as real estate is prime in a 10 gal. It also helps that I used a HOB skimmer too, so I just needed enough space for the drains and heater. I also credit renogaw for the idea of using eggcrate to hold up the baffles and also as a divider that doesnt inhibit flow.

woot, another $.25 coming my way!!!
looks good :)

spanko

Oh my god renogaw, you upped your price? I think it's time for a congressional hearing on price gouging.....

khaari

Thanks renogaw, it doesn't look quite as nice as yours but I tried. How about $0.12 to cover the almost but not quite?

Here is something that has me stumped, I tested today to see where I stand so far in the cycle and here are the results:
Temp 79.9 F
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0
Ph - 8.0 (still working on buffering)
dkh - 11
calcium - 500
phosphates - 0
After 5 days with a shrimp slowly melting away I would have thought to see at least some trace of ammonia. I thought it could be due to a faulty test kit since im not using the greatest kit atm so I took it to LFS yesterday and he tests 0 as well using salifert kits. :notsure:
I'm leaning towards purchasing my own set of salifert tests but I'm not sure if I should wait a bit first to see if I get any readings.

khaari

Oh and I found the hitch hiker shrimp. He is currently under the front center rock in the tank happily bulldozing away. (thank goodness I put all the baserock on the bottom glass to support the LR before I added the sand)

renogaw

where did you get your rock from? if you got it from someone and just moved it to your tank, you most likely will not experience a cycle. if the shrimp is melting, you could always try putting in 2 shrimp and see what happens, but if you get nothing, i'd say your rock has sufficient bacteria in it.

khaari

The rock came from LFS already cured, roughly 35# total. I will try adding another piece of shrimp and see if I can get a reading. The stringy things are tiny feather dusters. There iswhat looks like a small colony of about 10-12 on that one piece of rock. About 6-8 of them open and close constantly so I have been feeding Kents zooplanton every other day about a half capful.

khaari

Ok update:
I added another raw shrimp to try an see if I can get any ammonia to register. I also went ahead and got a salifert ammonia test kit just to back up the previous 2 tests from my API and the LFS salifert. Below is a photo of the results.
Now my question is how long should I leave it before adding anything if it continues to read zero?

renogaw

leave it in a couple days i guess. it is so cool one of your lfs stock salifert! none of mine have even heard of them :scared: