Finally!!

ann83

It might say four, but it was prescribed by fish food manufacturers, afterall. ;) I try to stick closer to recommendations made by fish disease researchers, and while I'm not going to go dig out my Noga book right now, I'm pretty sure 10 days is in line. Either way, it's what I've been recommending for the last couple years :p

ann83

Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains
http:///forum/post/3227526
I placed an airstone in the Quick Cure bath as instructed. I will call Beth again tomorrow, but she never mentioned repeating this bath, only to move on to the Furan.
Oh, okay, I must have just misunderstood. At any rate, that's better, since I didn't see the use for it to begin with.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by ann83
http:///forum/post/3227517
I remembered something else.

Make sure you have heavy aeration in the Quick Cure baths. Formalin displaces dissolved oxygen, and I suspect that many of the medications that are found to be "hard" on seahorses, involve irritating the gills in ways that are problematic to the seahorse's closed operculum.
Other useful information: vitamin B12 can be used as an appetite stimulant, Beta Glucan is an immune booster, and live mysis are irresistible to seahorses and can often break a hunger strike.
Like B-12 liquid you can get for people, same with Beta Glucen, or are these fish supply vitamins?

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by ann83
http:///forum/post/3227527
It might say four, but it was
prescribed by fish food manufacturers, afterall. ;) I try to stick closer to recommendations made by fish disease researchers, and while I'm not going to go dig out my Noga book right now, I'm pretty sure 10 days is in line. Either way, it's what I've been recommending for the last couple years :p
Well, there are 10 packs in the box!

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by Jaodissa
http:///forum/post/3227594
Hope you guys are doing okay!
Thanks, that makes two of us!

Not sure about anything at this point, everything seems to be OK. I guess time will tell.

S

shrimpy brains

Today's directions from Furan box
Add another packet to tank!
No water change is instructed till tomorrow, then it's change 25% water and add another full packet
This dosage is then repeated. So, to be clear, the process is:
Day 1=add packet
Day 2=add packet
day 3=25% water change add packet
Day 4=add packet
day 5=25% water change add packet
Day 6= addpacket
Day 7=25%water change add packet
Day 8= add packet
Day 9= 25% water change add packet
Day 10= add packet
Day 11=25% water change add carbon to remove
Does this seem right? Seems like there would be a lot of accumulation of meds. I remember reading to add more meds in relationship to ater being changes??

S

shrimpy brains

Of course, the directions only include dosing for 4 days, and I am going 10, so maybe I need a different scenario for dosing??!!

jaodissa

I don't know If I had thought to do it I would have repeated the first 4 days over again if your just extending treatment.

S

shrimpy brains

Day 2
3 horses doing well. Sick horse, eating some, but no noticeable improvement.
I'm sure it takes longer than a day. Just posting to keep track.
Added 1 packet of Furan. Tested water=Ammo. and trites 0 trates 10
25% water change tomorrow
The water is very yellow from furan=hope I am not getting false readings. Will the furan kill my bacteria? So far it seems to be ok.

meowzer

I looked back to my thread cause I wanted to be sure....BUT this is what I was told to do with the Furan 2
you can treat with Furan-2 (one packet per 10 gallons every day for 10 days, doing 50% water changes daily).

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3228119
I looked back to my thread cause I wanted to be sure....BUT this is what I was told to do with the Furan 2
Thanks, Meowzer! That makes alot more sense to me. The other way, I think there would be more medicine than saltwater.

Hope they will be ok for tonite, and I will do 50% in the morning!

S

shrimpy brains

Day 3
50% water change
Add packet of furan
No noticeable change

S

shrimpy brains

I fed 4 times today, she ate a little the first 2 feedings, but I haven't seen her eat since. This afternoon she started laying under the shell I have in there. I tried to get her up twice, but she ended up going back. Thinking about taking it out since I can't seem to figure out how to use it for a feeding dish, anyway. Decided to just turn out the lights and leave her be!
I guess I shouldn't have said "no noticeable change". I'm just tired and really feel like I'm going to lose her. I know Beth will replace her, but I was hopng she would pull thru! I know I've only had her for a couple of days, but it's still sad! Maybe I just need to go to sleep. It's been a long week!

meowzer

This is gonna sound funny coming from me...BUT don't torture yourself...Maybe you should see if Beth will take her back now......
It is very draining caring for a seahorse :( especially when you have no idea what's wrong with it

S

shrimpy brains

Thanks, I'd go for that, but she's in Florida and I'm in GA. I don't think this little girl would survive being shipped again.
Anyway, I'm sure things will seem better in the morning. Not to be a whiner, but I took my vacation this week to work on my house(been totally remodeling), get my seahorses and settle them in, etc. Spent 3 days at the vet(and a lot of money) cause my dog decided to get sick.(he seems to be better now) Now I have been dealing with this seahorse for days and I go back to work Monday. Vacation over and not much accomplished around the house. Guess I'm just on a little pity pot.

Whatever, things could def. be much worse. I just wish my job would understand and let me redo my vacation!! Think they'll go for that!

small triggers

take a voluntary layoff, thats what i did, lol LOTS OF TIME to work on tanks,,, though it lessens the amount of money you can use to fix stuff, lol
all in all,,, im glad to not be working, but it sounds like you are one of those people whom actually LIKES their job??? so maybe just go in a little early to accrue some comp time to take off early at the end of the week, lol