Firefish- Jumper

marvelfan

Little bummed. I was cleaning out my tank 2 days ago, and I walked away for 5 min to get a bucket. I left the top off of the tank, and when I got back I noticed the dog sniffing around at something about 5 feet from the tank. One of my Firefish was laying there. I quickly scooped him up and put him back in the tank. The fish was still breathing when I put him back in but was not staying upright. first he just laid there upside down, then he switched to his side. he wiggled around a little but is staying in one spot.
Unfortunately, I couldn't stay and monitor him, as my aquarium is currently not located where I live. I watched for 30 minutes before I had to leave and he was still breathing. Its been about a day. I wasn't able to check on him yesterday due to a snow storm but I'm heading over to check on the tank after work today. I do remotely monitor my tank conditions via a Seneye device and nitrates didn't spike the last couple days, so I'm hoping he is still recovering, but I don't have much hope.
Anyone else ever experience this type of behavior after catching a jumper?

bang guy

Yeah, if it was only 5 minutes then there's a good chance of a full recovery. They can breath until their gills dry out.

marvelfan

Looks like we lost him. I haven't spotted him in the tank. I never had a nitrate spike, but he seems to be gone =(

S

saxman

As Bang Guy mentioned, it all has to do with whether or not the fish's gill structures dried out, altho 5 mins isn't very long. The fish simply may be stressed and hiding ATM, as firefish tend to hide when stressed.
One thing that works fairly well for gill irritations from carpet surfing or ammonia burns is a methylene blue bath. It works pretty well to soothe and promote healing of damaged gill tissue.

marvelfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/393851/firefish-jumper#post_3506543
As Bang Guy mentioned, it all has to do with whether or not the fish's gill structures dried out, altho 5 mins isn't very long. The fish simply may be stressed and hiding ATM, as firefish tend to hide when stressed.
One thing that works fairly well for gill irritations from carpet surfing or ammonia burns is a methylene blue bath. It works pretty well to soothe and promote healing of damaged gill tissue.
Good information. I'll remember that. I moved some LR around a couple days ago and didn't see him anywhere so I'm pretty sure he become a midnight snack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice
http:///t/393851/firefish-jumper#post_3506053
Look on the bright side, your CUC had a great Holiday dinner!
yeah.. I hope they enjoyed it!

marvelfan

Well Jeeezz!!! Those damn Firefish. I went over to do some maintenance on the tank last night and found the other (and last) Firefish all shriveled up on the ground in front of the tank. Last time I was over there was 2 days ago.
I have a 1/2 " mesh screen over the tank. No clue how he jumped through it. that was one hell of a jump!!!
Looks like i"ll be shopping for another group of them for the new tank. This one one has a canopy to prevent fishy suicide!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelFan http:///t/393851/firefish-jumper#post_3508443
Well Jeeezz!!! Those damn Firefish. I went over to do some maintenance on the tank last night and found the other (and last) Firefish all shriveled up on the ground in front of the tank. Last time I was over there was 2 days ago.
I have a 1/2 " mesh screen over the tank. No clue how he jumped through it. that was one hell of a jump!!!
Looks like i"ll be shopping for another group of them for the new tank. This one one has a canopy to prevent fishy suicide!

Firefish or any fish with a long body type for that matter, are jumpers. Sorry to hear of your loss. I made a mesh topper for my tank (for the fairy wrasse), and still a jumper finds a way....I lost about 5 firefish over the years, and the last loss was the Fairy wrasse, and swore off getting such fish ever again.

marvelfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/393851/firefish-jumper#post_3508562
Firefish or any fish with a long body type for that matter, are jumpers. Sorry to hear of your loss. I made a mesh topper for my tank (for the fairy wrasse), and still a jumper finds a way....I lost about 5 firefish over the years, and the last loss was the Fairy wrasse, and swore off getting such fish ever again.
Thanks Flower...
Yeah.. I thought about trying a different schooling fish, but I'm not sure what to go with. My fiance really likes the Firefish and Fairy Wrasses, and she isn't always pleased with my choice of hobby (expensive and messy), so I want make her feel like she is a part of it by letting her pick some fish she can enjoy. She really wants the purple gobies, but they are more aggressive, so I talked her into the Fire Gobies.
I'm about to move all my fish over to my new 120 gallon set up. Hopefully this weekend. Presently I only have 2 Clowns and 2 Cardinals to move. Thinking of trying a small school or shoal (not sure of the difference) of Juvenile Fire Fish. I've been reading to buy even numbers so I'm thinking 4 or 6.
The only exposed area on the new tank is the back of the canopy is open. I'm now toying with the idea of making a hinged cover so if a jumper does some how get through the net they at least have a chance to get back in the water and not fall out of the tank. Or I guess I could just get some smaller mesh. Right now I"m using 1/2 inch. Maybe I need 1/4-inch.
I'm wondering if it would make a difference to introduce the new fish to the new tank before or after my current fish? Any opinions?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelFan http:///t/393851/firefish-jumper#post_3508586
Thanks Flower...
Yeah.. I thought about trying a different schooling fish, but I'm not sure what to go with. My fiance really likes the Firefish and Fairy Wrasses, and she isn't always pleased with my choice of hobby (expensive and messy), so I want make her feel like she is a part of it by letting her pick some fish she can enjoy. She really wants the purple gobies, but they are more aggressive, so I talked her into the Fire Gobies.
I'm about to move all my fish over to my new 120 gallon set up. Hopefully this weekend. Presently I only have 2 Clowns and 2 Cardinals to move. Thinking of trying a small school or shoal (not sure of the difference) of Juvenile Fire Fish. I've been reading to buy even numbers so I'm thinking 4 or 6.
The only exposed area on the new tank is the back of the canopy is open. I'm now toying with the idea of making a hinged cover so if a jumper does some how get through the net they at least have a chance to get back in the water and not fall out of the tank. Or I guess I could just get some smaller mesh. Right now I"m using 1/2 inch. Maybe I need 1/4-inch.
I'm wondering if it would make a difference to introduce the new fish to the new tank before or after my current fish? Any opinions?
Hi,
Check out the Blue Reef Chromis, in a 180g you could build quite a school and they are so beautiful! They are not jumpers, and they are hands down brighter in color than any firefish, they shimmer in the lights. No picture can do them justice, and they are reef safe.
An angelfish could really make a nice flashy show fish for such a tank, they would all get along. Your fiance may not know what fish are out there.
May I suggest you get this book

A page so you can see the info it offers, and PICTURES are worth a 1000 words

marvelfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/393851/firefish-jumper#post_3508639
Hi,
Check out the Blue Reef Chromis, in a 180g you could build quite a school and they are so beautiful! They are not jumpers, and they are hands down brighter in color than any firefish, they shimmer in the lights. No picture can do them justice, and they are reef safe.
An angelfish could really make a nice flashy show fish for such a tank, they would all get along. Your fiance may not know what fish are out there.
May I suggest you get this book
Thanks Flower - I'm going to order that book! I'm interested in the Chromis. I'll have to read up on them. Definately seems like a valid option. I love the blue color on them too!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelFan http:///t/393851/firefish-jumper#post_3508691
Thanks Flower - I'm going to order that book! I'm interested in the Chromis. I'll have to read up on them. Definately seems like a valid option. I love the blue color on them too!
I put 5 of them in my 90g when it was a reef...they were really pretty, and 4 stayed close and swam together, there was one that for some reason was a loner, and he had been the victim of some fin nipping, so I assume for whatever reason the rest of the pack didn't like him, but they didn't bother anything else. That book will save you a ton of money by telling all about their needs and not to mention show you what SW critters are available.
In a 180g you have lots of larger cool fish you can add, I'm sure you will like that book, they have one on inverts as well:

A page to see the info:

marvelfan

I actually have a 120 gallon, but that will be lots of room for a small school. I did some looking around (even though I should be working) and found that there are Blue/Green Reef Chromis and some Carribean Blue Reef Chromis. The blue green are lighter in color and much less expensive, but the Carribean Blue Reef Chromis are a darker blue with some black. I really like the look of both for differnt reasons.

BLUE GREEN REEF CHROMIS BLUE REEF CHROMIS
I'll do some more reading and see what else I can find. A couple forum posts said that they all school at first, but as they become use to the tank surroundings they start to scatter. Some people were saying they would move rock work around to get them to school again for a couple weeks, but then they would scatter again. Others said that you need to keep a predatory fish in the tank and then they will school together for security. Interesting.
Going to be different for everyone, but it may be worth a shot.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelFan http:///t/393851/firefish-jumper#post_3508698
I actually have a 120 gallon, but that will be lots of room for a small school. I did some looking around (even though I should be working) and found that there are Blue/Green Reef Chromis and some Carribean Blue Reef Chromis. The blue green are lighter in color and much less expensive, but the Carribean Blue Reef Chromis are a darker blue with some black. I really like the look of both for differnt reasons.

BLUE GREEN REEF CHROMIS BLUE REEF CHROMIS
I'll do some more reading and see what else I can find. A couple forum posts said that they all school at first, but as they become use to the tank surroundings they start to scatter. Some people were saying they would move rock work around to get them to school again for a couple weeks, but then they would scatter again. Others said that you need to keep a predatory fish in the tank and then they will school together for security. Interesting.
Going to be different for everyone, but it may be worth a shot.
Hi,
I have the blue/green, in with my seahorses...they are very calm unaggressive fish. The blue reef chromis are more iridescent and shimmer in the water. You don't have to get aggressive fish to keep them schooling, just larger then they are. Both types only grow to be about 4 to 5 inches tops...The blue reef remind me of little Hippo tangs except the blue is brighter looking on them. The Hippo tangs have pretty color but it doesn't shimmer in the light. The way they keep their fin tails is what ruins the blue/green for me...sick fish pinch their tails shut like that and I find it unattractive. The blue reef has a scissor type tail fin.