First 10 Gallon Saltwater Reef Tank

bswe22

I have started a 10 gallon reef tank a couple monthe ago. I wish I would of been smart enough to psot pictures of the progress I have made.
Well I am going to start now. What I have is a 10 gallon tank with about 12 pounds of live rock. I did not want to start with too much because I knew I would be adding more with the corals I buy. I have a nice little colony of Zoas, a frag from a Green Toadstool Leather, Hammer Coral (I added this one last night), two small peices of Xenia, a peice of Green Star Polyp and one mushroom polyp. My clean up crew consists of 2 Scarlet Hermit Crabs, an Emerald Crab, 2 snails and a Cleaner Shrimp. Right now I have a 24 watt compact flo for lighting but I should have my new light here on Monday or Tuesday. It will be a 4 tube T5HO light fixture for a total of 96 watts. I am using a Penguin 170 bio wheel filter (without the bio wheel). I what to replace it with a protein skimmer but not sure which one to get. So here are some pictures. Looking for advice and suggestions as to what I should add or do differently.
Thanks Everybody
Here are a couple pictures. I will add more later.

meowzer

Nice tank....one suggestion would be you need more flow....especially in the front where you have the algae growth on the sand....maybe add a few nassarius and cerith snails
also I would not replace your filter with a skimmer...I would just add a skimmer....they do different things

bswe22

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3192582
Nice tank....one suggestion would be you need more flow....especially in the front where you have the algae growth on the sand....maybe add a few nassarius and cerith snails
also I would not replace your filter with a skimmer...I would just add a skimmer....they do different things
The 2 snails I have are nassarius snails. They don't seem to be doing their job. It feels like there is alot of flow in the tank. I have the Korilla Nano in the top right corner. Should I get another Korilla for the other side? Thank you for the compliment on the tank. It has become very addicting.

bswe22

Here are a few more pictures of my tank. I also have a Goby and Pistol Shrimp. They are fun to watch.

andrew989

what kind of goby and pistol shrimp do you have ilike them.
im going to buy a pair when my 15 gallon cycles

bswe22

Originally Posted by andrew989
http:///forum/post/3192729
what kind of goby and pistol shrimp do you have ilike them.
im going to buy a pair when my 15 gallon cycles
The Goby is a Barbershop Goby and he is paired up with a Randalli Pistol shrimp. When they actually come out, they are fun to watch. They spend 90% olf the time in one of the many caves they have built.

bswe22

I have made some big changes today. I have gone from a 10 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank. I added 20lbs of LR and another 10lbs of sand. I will post a few pictures tomorrow. I do have a question for everybody. Will my tank have to go through another cycle, or will it be like doing a 50% water change?
It will be very sad if I lose everything because I wanted a bigger tank.

meowzer

that depends on how much stuff you stirred up out of the sand from the 10G...did you just move everything over all at once???

bswe22

I took all the corals and livestock and put them into a bucket with water out of the 10 gal. tank. Then I placed all the old and new LR into the new tank and then I scooped the sand from the 10 gal. tank and poured it into the 20 gal. tank. I couldn't think of a different way to transfer the sand. I added a heater and powerhead to the bucket and I let the 20 gal. tank settle for a warm up for a couplr hours. I then added the coral and livestock to their new home. I topped the tank off with the water from the bucket with the livestock in it. Everything appears to be opening back up, so I hope all is well.

bswe22

Did I do the switch to a bigger tank correctly? If I did something wrong, any ideas of how to fix it?
Thanks

bswe22

I was getting ready to do that after I have had my coffee and I get the kid taken care of. The only thing I did test was salinity, and it was at 1.023.

bswe22

I have tested the water after the big change to the larger tank. Everything seems to be doing good.
PH - 7.8
Calcium - 420
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia - 0
Phosphate - .5
KH - 8/9
Salinity - 1.024
I will check everything again tomorrow. What can I do to get the PH up a little?