First homemade food

So I went to the store and got me some fresh ingredients of shrimp, oysters, muscles, scallops, clams and 1 clove of fresh garlic mixed them all up in the processor and here's the result. I think i might have processed it to much its so mushy. I aLSO got a baster to feed the corals better

lexluethar

How much did that end up running you? Was it cheaper to do that for quantity wise rather then getting cubed frozen foods?
I'm extremely interested in doing the same thing!

nate0729

that'll last a while, and probably be better for the coral. Just freeze it flat, and then chop it up into squares.

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
How much did that end up running you? Was it cheaper to do that for quantity wise rather then getting cubed frozen foods?
I'm extremely interested in doing the same thing!
The ingredients cost me $17.83 and I have 3 ziploc sandwich bags with ground up seafood and it's gonna last so much longer than them brine and mysis cubes i been using. It is a lil messy popping open clam, mussel and oyster shells and took me a lil while to skin the shrimp...wait now thaT i made it was i suppose to skin the shrimp? I guess its just a habit i have from making shrimp for myself oh well

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Pimpin Chirp
The ingredients cost me $17.83 and I have 3 ziploc sandwich bags with ground up seafood and it's gonna last so much longer than them brine and mysis cubes i been using. It is a lil messy popping open clam, mussel and oyster shells and took me a lil while to skin the shrimp...wait now thaT i made it was i suppose to skin the shrimp? I guess its just a habit i have from making shrimp for myself oh well
That is so great that you went ahead and made your own!!! That will last awhile and is so much more nutritional for your fish than what you were feeding. As stated, freeze it flat. You can break off what you need.

Originally Posted by sepulatian
That is so great that you went ahead and made your own!!! That will last awhile and is so much more nutritional for your fish than what you were feeding. As stated, freeze it flat. You can break off what you need.
Yeah i'm really glad that i made it to i can't wait to feed em again and whoever came up with the turkey baster idea deserves a nobel peace prize for making the feeding of corals 10X's easier and more effective Like i know that all of my lil guys is getting some good meaty foods

dinogeorge

I have a lot of fish, so I mix my own food too. The saving and quality control are HUGE!!! I went to a Bed, Bath and Beyond and found some tiny plastic ice cube trays. I mix my food and then pour it into these trays. In an hour they are solid. Then I pop them out and put the cubes into a big plastic freezer bag. When it’s time to feed I just grab a cube out of the bag and it’s ready to go. No mess.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Dinogeorge
I have a lot of fish, so I mix my own food too. The saving and quality control are HUGE!!! I went to a Bed, Bath and Beyond and found some tiny plastic ice cube trays. I mix my food and then pour it into these trays. In an hour they are solid. Then I pop them out and put the cubes into a big plastic freezer bag. When it’s time to feed I just grab a cube out of the bag and it’s ready to go. No mess.
Nice!!!!

dinogeorge

Yes, I have a blender that I use specifically for this. The trick for me is making sure I don’t blend it into too small a pieces. I only have fish and if it’s too small it just sort of pollutes my tank. Too large and my smaller fish and butterflies won’t eat it.
But it sure feels good knowing “what” I’m feeding my fish.

matt b

ok great well i dont know if my moms gonna let me do all this in our house but im gonna try bcus i no its alot better for the fish... and dose it matter how much u add of each thing of do u just add the same amount of it all and blend it up

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MaTT B
do u just put it in a blender???
Pretty much. Add whatever foods are best for your fish.

J

jrthomas40

i have a winn dixie and walmart supercenter that sell frozen seafood but not fresh meat

dinogeorge

But all you will want is seafood...The first post on this thread listed pretty much everything that you'll want. The other additonal thing I wuld add to that list is a sheet of nori "seaweed" in the mixture as well, if you have any herbivores in your tank.

J

jrthomas40

yeah i was talking about semi fresh seafood...not fresh beef...and i wasnt sure how different frozen seafood and frozen cubes are...i bought some frozen cyclops and reef plankton the other day for the coral....but i would like to get some blended small enough to get to the zoos and frogspawn

dinogeorge

Cool. Just buy one of those small food processors and grind your frozen stuff up a bit more. But get used to those things because they are really fast at turning a solid into a liquid!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Dinogeorge
Cool. Just buy one of those small food processors and grind your frozen stuff up a bit more. But get used to those things because they are really fast at turning a solid into a liquid!

Blend what you want for your fish and scoop some out into the ice cube trays or freezer bag, then blend the rest even more to have fresh invert food as well.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
i have a winn dixie and walmart supercenter that sell frozen seafood but not fresh meat
Be sure it is raw frozen seafood. Most are flash frozen, meaning that they freeze the fresh seafood quickly which preserves all of the goodness.