First Saltwater Aquarium

youngmoney

Hi everyone, my names Landon. Ive been a 'member' of the freshwater community for the past 10 years or so. After getting a little bored with the hobby I decided to go saltwater after debating the idea for years, thinking it might be too difficult. I purchased a 55 gallon with stand and canopy ten days ago. I bought the live sand, tons of chemicals for the water suggested by my reliable retailer, along with an advanced water test kit. For filtration I have 1 aquaclear and 1 whisper hang on the back filters, both for 70g aquariums. I also have a strong powerhead on both sides of the tank aiming centered. I have a protein skimmer as well which is not set up yet, as ive been told no to do. I spent a pretty penny on a Dual 24 hour coral light as well.
I purchased a little over 25 lbs of live rock along with some man made and dried coral. Ive tested the water daily since setup with ammonia levels still remaining at 0.0, ph of 8.0, temp at 78f and a speciffic gravity of 1.023. I made a risky move and addded fish already whicih is my reasoning for daily testing. I purchased a stingray (not labled), a snowflake eel, and a 'spotted' grouper along with three starfish about 3 days ago. All fish are doing amazing and eating well fed a diet of squid and frozen mix, which they love! The stingray and grouper swim all over the tank and are furious feeders while the eel stays closer to the coral caves.
I am prepared for the purchase of a larger tank in he near future when needed. Do my fish have enough room for now? I have not been told the actual name of my stingray which im hoping you may be able to help me with, ive included pictures of my setup and hope you can offer some advice. Id like to know how im doing from more experienced members of the hobby.

Feeding (first day in tank):

Thanks guys i hope you can offer some kind advice!

jthomas0385

hello welcome to the boards. I have only been in the hobby for 6 months now so I'll do my best at offering some advice. I really hope everything works out for you, but one thing I can tell you for sure is that your tank is way too small for the fish you have. Panther Groupers require a minimum tank size of at least 300 gallons (they can grow up to 20"). They grow really fast and require a tank with a high quality of water. Usually sting rays require at least 300-400 gallons of water. Due to its lack of hardiness, the Stingray's should only be kept by an experienced hobbyist. It is a temperate species and requires water temperatures between 72 and 78 degrees. The aquarium itself should have at least a two foot width from front to back for an adult. If your tank has been set up for 10 days it will reach an ammonia spike eventually. If your stingray survives through the cycle it will be a miracle. Just make sure you read and read and read and always research your animals before you buy them. Patients is key to being successful in this. Good luck and ask lots of questions on the boards.

cjworkman

Agreed with previous poster. The stingray and pather grouper have to go. The snowflake and tang can probably live together peacefully.
Your tank has yet to cycle... most of that coral and maybe fish will die.
The cycle can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month.. ammonia will spike, followed by nitrites, then nitrates... Once nitrates are down to zero, the cycle is complete.
I highly suggest you have someone babysit your fish and corals until the cycle is complete.. otherwise it will all die.

fishfreak1242

Welcome! You should watch out for your tang as they normally need more space than a 55 gal depending on its size. Other than that it seems like you are off to a good start.

scotikis

Nice Set up. I'm also new to the saltwater side and in the process of setting up my tank now. I've noticed there are a lot of differences in SWF dealers in the area where I live - some of them are out for the quick dollar while others tutor me and offer advice and suggestions without pressuring me for the sale.
Although I've seen varying types of SWF shops, I'm suprised that a dealer would let you (or encourage you) to spend all that money on expensive livestock that are inappropriately sized for your tank - and then see you walk out the door before the tank is even cycled. It's kind of a shame.
I'm not being critical of YOU, just saying that your LFS seems to have done you wrong.
good luck, I hope it all works out.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by fishfreak1242
http:///forum/post/2511259
Welcome! You should watch out for your tang as they normally need more space than a 55 gal depending on its size. Other than that it seems like you are off to a good start.
Okay.....A. Stop, the tang is on the background., Thats not a good start...Rays need lots of swimming room, The panther is going to ger HUGE, Eels can get out of a tank real fast..He might be okay in a 55, The Choc. Chip Star will be okay...(If the eel or grouper doesnt tear it apart..) When it starts a cycle..The Star will more then likely buy the farm, eel and grouper will prolly make it...The ray will most likely fall victim to the cycle as well.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by fishyCPA
http:///forum/post/2511301
don't stars need a very mature tank w/ lots of live rock and perfect water conditions?
Linkia yes....Choc. not as much...They need good acclimation, CCS can be fed as were Linkia and others cant be...Mine CC has been living in my fuge for about a year or so...(He ate about a 3 head peice of Frogspawn)
When I finally get around to adding my 55 sump and 20 fuge I guess I will put him back in the fuge...

youngmoney

Thanks guys, im hoping they make it as well! Im thinking about getting rid of the grouper, i love the stingray and moray which im willing to upgrade to a larger tank. Im thinking about rearanging my live rock now... I live in a urban town but this one LFS always has everything, even sharks lol. Any tips?

nigerbang

Rays need a lot of open swimming room, lots of open room. I don't think a 55 will suffice for to awful long.

L

lsu

I would return all of your livestock and start over SLOWLY. That bio-load is huge for a 55 that has been running for ten days with 25 lbs of LR. I see a crash in your future. As stated earlier the grouper will quickly outgrow your tank as will the ray.

hillius31

Yeah I would say your going a bit quick, but maybe it will work out for you. I set my tank up with no fish or LR for 6 weeks. Just to let it cycle. But everyone to their own. Good luck.
Justin

condyman

Guy,
listen to these people, you need to slow down. take some good advice and wait until the tank cycles. maybe ask the lfs if they can hold your life stock until you cycle the tank. not only are you going to thow away your good earned money but you are gonna suffocate half of the fish before this size tank cycles. there are some chemicals out there that claim to cycle a tank in 24 hrs but I personally would wait it out and then add you nice ray, grouper and eel back in the tank.
I have a 46g tank and i added a fresh chunk of 30lbs live rock and it took 1 1/2 months before it finished the full cycle. i hated it, i bit all my nails waiting to put some fish in it. but it paid off with no casualties

youngmoney

Thanks guys, however theres no need to jump me! Ive already made the mistake and I am stuck with the fish and theres know way to back up now. I just want to know how to keep them alive, or the best way to try. I realize what i have done and im hoping these amazing fish continue to thrive. The water test are once again perfect and all fish are doing great, what now?