First Saltwater Aquarium

chuckcac

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
Read it cover to cover.... it will save you money and heartache. And it will ultimatly save many fishy lives...
now that you have joined the boards... you have a wealth of information, ideas and opinions to call upon when you want to invest in something new for your tank.....
in this hobby, Equiptment, animals, food & maintanance are expensive....
INFORMATION & PATIENCE are priceless

youngmoney

I wish i would have had my camera around when i fed the two of them this morning. The eel stood straight up and grabbed the chunk of squid right out of my hand! They got a gut full and seem to be doing good today.

U

usirchchris

Man I am on board with Prime311...I would take all the dead stuff drop it on the counter and kick some A#$. They took complete advantage of you...as a side note..being that you were in fresh water for some time...do you know how the cycle works or why it is important? If not here is a real quick lesson...first the amonia has to go up...this will be done by the waste that your fish produce, and from the leftover food that they do not eat as it rots. (this is how most start their cycle...by dropping something in the tank like a piece of shrimp..putting live fish threw this event is very taxing as you have seen firsthand). Eventually the amonia breaks down into nitrites, and then finally converts to nitrates. Nitrates are tolerated by fish to an appreciable extent...water changes will help keep the nitrates from reaching an intolerable level. Each step is accomplished by bacteria that builds in your tank. It takes time for this bacteria to establish, and is absolutely necessary, as the amonia and nitrites are toxic to the fish. That is why even when your tank is cycled you need to add fish slowly. The bacteria has to build up for the waste of each additional fish you add. If you go to fast it will overload the system, and the bacteria will not be able to keep up, thus producing the toxic elements of amonia and nitrites as your tank essentially re-cycles itself. Hope this helps a little.

alan1

Ok....I've just got to know..... When you discovered your eel on the floor, did you grab him with your bare hands to put him back into your tank? I'm no "girlie-man" by any means but.........I don't know if I could pull that off barehanded.

youngmoney

Originally Posted by Alan1
http:///forum/post/2513896
Ok....I've just got to know..... When you discovered your eel on the floor, did you grab him with your bare hands to put him back into your tank? I'm no "girlie-man" by any means but.........I don't know if I could pull that off barehanded.

Shiiit, neither am i but would you have grabbed him bare handed? I took the time to get the net out of the aquarium stand first ofcourse and picked him up through the netting, i dropped him once (not far from the ground) when he swung around on me and was on my arm with that gaping mouth making a chomping action at my arm.... lol. The fish are doing fine and feeding amazingly, that eel is somethingn to watch. I think there goin to pull through, what do you guys think?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by YoungMoney
http:///forum/post/2515709
Shiiit, neither am i but would you have grabbed him bare handed? I took the time to get the net out of the aquarium stand first ofcourse and picked him up through the netting, i dropped him once (not far from the ground) when he swung around on me and was on my arm with that gaping mouth making a chomping action at my arm.... lol. The fish are doing fine and feeding amazingly, that eel is somethingn to watch. I think there goin to pull through, what do you guys think?

Sissies...I grabbed a nasty 3' Green Moray out of the floor...I only got bit twice....lol

atlantis16

Originally Posted by NigerBang
http:///forum/post/2516552
Sissies...I grabbed a nasty 3' Green Moray out of the floor...I only got bit twice....lol
Just curious, but where did you purchase the stingray? And if you feel comfortable answering what was the price? My buds dad is a marine biologist and was intrigued by the pic. Thanks

dkfloyd

In my opinion, I am surprised anything is still alive. The bioload alone all at one time is a lot.
You definitely need more cured live rock. You definitely need to slow wayyyyy down.
You will appreciate the art and the life of this hobby, just take it one step at a time. You need to test every day now to keep checking the levels. I think you are still going to be hitting a cycle.
Good Luck

ironeagle2006

Right now get your SKIMMER running also that will also help by getting the Dissovled waste out of the tank. Also pull the Crushed Coral substrate out of there and repalce it with a Live Sand Base. Then Trade that Panther Grouper in at the LFS he will eat that Snowflake Eel sooner rather than later. Also replace those powerheads with Hydroflors and get a purigen bag for the filter right now to help with the ammonia. Other wise you WILL LOSE EVERYTHING.

youngmoney

Originally Posted by atlantis16
http:///forum/post/2516847
Just curious, but where did you purchase the stingray? And if you feel comfortable answering what was the price? My buds dad is a marine biologist and was intrigued by the pic. Thanks
I live in a town called texarkana its where arkansas and texas meet. Its the only shop in town that has saltwater fish but he always has rays, sharks, eels, and so much more rare saltwater fish. The stingray was $50. Thats what most of the fish including my eel cost. Pretty good deal in my opinion.
I did a water change today guys, the water test came out normal again. Ive noticed things growing all over the live rock and seen snails in the tank now. Im just curious what is this stuff on the rock? Ive added some full tank pics.

That 'stuff':

What do you guys think?

scopus tang

Originally Posted by chuckcac
http:///forum/post/2517674
detrius = fish poop....
brown stuff on rock = diatom bloom - it will pass...
+1 ^ (except for the passing part). Now is when things are going to start getting nasty. You've got a huge bioload and insufficient quantities of LR and LS to perform the ammonia cycle in your tank. Additionally, you've got nothing sufficient going to remove all the nitrates that are going to be produced in this system. Diatoms are beginning to grow and IMO, with the bioload you are carrying and the quantities of LR and LS, it will never pass. Everything in your tank is going to be covered with the stuff. Then the Hair algae bloom is going to start! I'm sorry to say, as the others have, that you are probably in for a lot of disappointment and hardship over the course of the next few months. You've been given a lot of good advice so far, hope you been listening. If you really want to save those fish, its time to kick it in gear.
Go back to the freaking fish store that sold you all that stuff and make them help you out. Order cured live rock from online and get it cycling in a separate tub so you can get it into your DT ASAP! Get carbon running 24/7 with the biggest carbon filter you can get. Consider introducing some macroalgae to cut down on the microalgae blooms that are coming or add a sump ASAP!
Sitting back hoping your fish are going to make it isn't going to get it, not with a system that small and fish that are that big. That eel alone will create enough waste to clog up that tank and create algae blooms that will never end.
You've made some of the first right steps (joining the board and asking for advice ~ welcome by the way), now get moving and help those fish out!

youngmoney

Thanks guys, i was at the LFS today exchanging my light that i was constantly getting shocked by lol when i purchased a small 'cleanup crew'. I purchased 9 what are said to be hermit crabs, they are small 1/2 inch crabs in shells that i will post pics of tomorrow. Im following your advice and so far the fish are doing good but the guy at the lfs says not to add any more fish finally after i told him what was going on, he gave me some store credit.