Fish are all dying

D

dale-lynn

So I had a rectangle trigger fish a lion fish and a grouper in a tank together the tank is about 60gal cubed tank with a fluvial fx 5 pump and a protein skimmer, all the fish were all fine together, I fed them krill.
A little while before I three of them in the tank I had a blue lined trigger and he got sick and died I don't know how it could have been some frozen squid I fed him...
Anyways I fed the fish the squid again and for weeks they were fine, so I don't know how the blue lined trigger died. Anyways all the three fish were fine, then we decided to get another trigger fish, an undulated. And ey were all fine together I just fed them dried krill and frozen krill and missies shrimp(or whatever it's called lol) A week ago the lion fish went white in color and didn't move around much he seemed sick, then the grouper started getting sick, we did other 50 prevent water changes and the pH and nitrates and everything were fine, the grouper died and yesterday morning I found the lion fish dead, last night the rectangle trigger was acting weird he looked like he had a rash on his face, his face was red, and he would stay in the flow of the filter, then would just lay on the bottom and the undulated trigger started acting weird too, like staying with the rectangle trigger , then this morning I found them both dead...
I have a feather duster and a bunch of live rock, and a harlequin shrimp and some coral, and they are all fine.
What could have went wrong?

bang guy

Please post the test results for ammonia, PH, salinity, and temperature from when you found them dead.
My guess is that you exceeded the capacity of your biologic filtration leading to a tank crash..

S

saxman

Sorry you're having trouble. Did you QT your fish?
However, next time around, don't mix incompatible fish...esp in such a small tank. Undulated triggers are species-only fish as they tend to beat up and kill anything kept with them. Also, the R. rectangulus trigger shouldn't be kept with a lionfish, as "reef" triggers will harass them to death often by nipping off their dorsal spines.

flower

Hi,
For what it's worth...welcome to the site. I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time. You do have some incompatible fish for that size tank.
This book will help you, and save you money...

A page so you can see the info it offers...For me, this book has been very helpful.

D

dale-lynn

The pH, ammonia and salinity was perfect just what it should be same with temperature , I checked it last night..
And the fish were incompatible with each other but they didn't fight at all, could that still have been the problem? And all the fish were very small like the lion fish was decently big but the trigger were small

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-lynn http:///t/395712/fish-are-all-dying#post_3523695
The pH, ammonia and salinity was perfect just what it should be same with temperature , I checked it last night..
And the fish were incompatible with each other but they didn't fight at all, could that still have been the problem? And all the fish were very small like the lion fish was decently big but the trigger were small
Hi,
Just because the fish got along for the moment, doesn't mean they are compatible tank mates. For starters, a Grouper needs a minimum 100g tank. As Saxman pointed out...Undulated triggers are species-only fish, as they tend to beat up and kill anything kept with them. Also, the R. rectangulus trigger shouldn't be kept with a lionfish, as "reef" triggers will harass them to death often by nipping off their dorsal spines.
Fish mature, and as they do, their true nature comes out. That little grouper is going to grow huge very fast...well if it lives.
You were asked to post the actual number results of the tests...
PH = ?
Ammonia = ?
Alkalinity = ?
Nitrates = ?
Nitrites = ?
SG = ?
Also....When was the tank set up? How many power heads are in the tank? Do you quarantine your new fish?
We can't help you if you don't want to hear what we have to say, and I can't tell you how often beginners "THINK" everything is perfect when it isn't.

mjtech12

Hi sorry for your loss but we need to know all parameters ph and so forth also what size tank you have cause all those fish need at least 125 gal those fish get really big and the size of the fish now in your tank you might have exceeded the limit or didn't let the bio load set up after each fish properly again sorry for the EXPENSIVE Loss

btldreef

Incompatible fish is the likely culprit. The undulated probably killed each one, but as they fought back, he got harmed as well.
That would be my guess.
Too many fish, too small of a tank. Especially the fish you chose. Then add in the fact that there were aggressive fish in a small tank and the problem becomes huge. Most aggression occurs when we aren't watching.
How old is the tank? How long did you have these fish?

flower

It looks like our new member didn't get the answers he wanted, and hasn't come back...I'm pretty sure we are just wasting our time.

D

dale-lynn

I'm a girl, btw. And was out of town.
But thanks for the replies to everyone , And to flower to be honest it's my boyfriends tank I was just trying to get some answers for him, he has had many tanks since he was a child. A d I don't know the ph alkalinity salinity or anything right now because he's going to do a 100% water change since there's no fish in it anymore and start all over .

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-lynn http:///t/395712/fish-are-all-dying#post_3524560
I'm a girl, btw. And was out of town.
But thanks for the replies to everyone , And to flower to be honest it's my boyfriends tank I was just trying to get some answers for him, he has had many tanks since he was a child. A d I don't know the ph alkalinity salinity or anything right now because he's going to do a 100% water change since there's no fish in it anymore and start all over .
Hi,
Lost them all, what a shame. I'm sorry to hear it.
You two really need find out what went wrong the first time to prevent a repeat. Please believe me when I say it wasn't the food. The fish were not compatible, we purchase very young fish, and they grow up...size and other issues were going to crop up. Mostly I think you two need to also set up a quarantine tank. That will not only insure only adding healthy fish to the display, but also help you regulate how fast you add new fish and prevent the "too much too soon crash", that may have been responsible for your failure the first time around.
Good luck and keep us posted, we are right here to help, and know how to walk you through step by step.