Fish Are Not For Cycling!!!!

lion_crazz

This thread seriously needs to be closed now. It was a good debate at first, but due to closed-mindednes and ignorance, it's just stupidity now.
socal, I do hope you were joking when you said that meth (as in methamphetamine) is bad. They were not talking about the narcotic, but rather the micro-organism, methanogen.

socal57che

It certainly was a good thread and I learned from it. After so many posts stating the same thing I think it was good to lighten it up a little. If we don't post, the thread will go away, and any new readers can disregard the the sillyness if they prefer.
I once lived just outside Lancaster and my allergies were terrible. I think my tank made them worse...added to humidity in my home maybe.

carshark

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
This thread seriously needs to be closed now. It was a good debate at first, but due to closed-mindednes and ignorance, it's just stupidity now.
socal, I do hope you were joking when you said that meth (as in methamphetamine) is bad. They were not talking about the narcotic, but rather the micro-organism, methanogen.

lol take it easy this thread should have been closed a long time ago, i was suprised to see it still going. i wasnt aware we were still in a debate, i was just retorting to the obvious silly statement about the poor bacteria's.. and then i couldnt help myself.... :joy:

dskidmore

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
What about the poor bacteria!!! No one ever seems to show any sympathy for prokaryote organisms!!
Do we know if prokaryote organisims feel pain? Most things that would injure a single celled organisim would kill the affected organisims, so they won't suffer long.
The super-short life span doesn't help humans feel sympathy either.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by DSkidmore
Do we know if prokaryote organisims feel pain? Most things that would injure a single celled organisim would kill the affected organisims, so they won't suffer long.
The super-short life span doesn't help humans feel sympathy either.
Thinking makes my head hurt.....
I think it is more then just rather an organism is prokaryotic or eukaryotic or even unicellular or multicellular that draws the line for human sympathy but who really knows.
Oh, and regarding the 'morality' of cycling with fish I have the following to say.
I have a fish tank for 1 reason, my enjoyment.
I do not personally enjoy knowing that a fish, even a damsel, is suffering. So I would not be for cycling with fish but I do not think it has anything to do with morality.
I know many people may think this thread should be left alone but I think it is good to keep recent so new people can understand all about proper cycling...

dskidmore

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
Thinking makes my head hurt.....
I think it is more then just rather an organism is prokaryotic or eukaryotic or even unicellular or multicellular that draws the line for human sympathy but who really knows.
I personally don't care much about tiny invertebrates. If they're useful, I nurture them, like aquarium and intestinal beneficial bacteria, and spiders. If they're harmful, I seek them out with a vengeance, like germs and fruit flies. Something larger that is either beautiful or has a personality (corals, crabs, etc.) tends to get more sympathy.
How many people on this board are distressed at the illness of a bubble coral or an urchin, but hunt down aiptasia with a vengeance? There isn't a ton of diffrence biologically or in appearance between some aiptasia, and some other corals we keep. (I know this is a bit off topic from the morality of fish cycling, but it does break down to the same matter of why some people care about their damsels, and some don't.)

sleasia

Use the new bottle seawater now on the market about $9.00 per 5 gallon jug. It really works and cylces the tanks pretty much immediately. I put only three 5 gallon jugs into a 200 gallon tank and filled the rest with home made saltwater (Instant Ocean) and i had my tank cycled presto!!! not deaths of my chromis I added 5
days later. No ammonia spikes no nitrite spikes.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by sleasia
Use the new bottle seawater now on the market about $9.00 per 5 gallon jug. It really works and cylces the tanks pretty much immediately. I put only three 5 gallon jugs into a 200 gallon tank and filled the rest with home made saltwater (Instant Ocean) and i had my tank cycled presto!!! not deaths of my chromis I added 5
days later. No ammonia spikes no nitrite spikes.
Seawater will NOT make your tank "insta-safe"... you should get the chromis out and cycle your tank.
Bacteria grows on the rocks and substrate... not a whole lot of it is "free" floating in sea water. If it was free floating, I'm not sure how long it would live in an air tight shipping container.....
There are no short cuts for the Ammonia cycle.