fish cant feel pain, scientist conclude

badkjb2

did anyone read this or here about this? it was in an article in the chicago sun times, on sunday. it states their brain isnt big enough to feel pain.

buzz

And what did they do to test that theory....hit it and then ask if it hurt? Bet they get all sorts of answers that way...
Actually, I have heard they don't feel pain the same way people do, because our central nervous system is much more complex. But I have a hard time believing they simply dont feel.

j21kickster

Can you show me the article- im a bit skeptical- the fact that they respond to touch means the feel and if you feel- force varaition can be felt.

badkjb2

the best i could do for you is give you the page, which is 27a in the sunday chicago sun times. maybe check there web site

slick

I believe fish can feel pain. When they get ick what do they do? They rub on stuff to get it off. So like said above they can feel touch.So they can feel pain.

S

simm

Well when I trout fish and then I catch a nice one. He swallows the hook and its He** trying to get the hook out you can sit there and hear the fish make a croaking squealing sound and he only does it when I forcefuly try to dig the hook out. So who knows.

barry769

Feeling pain, Feeling touch, and knowing your F***d are all extremely different. There are people who can't feel pain, but can still feel touch. Its extremely dangerous for them too, they can be shot with a gun and would feel as though they were just shoved and not realise that they are dying. Touch and pain have different receptors. If you

[hr]
or skin a fish, it probably doesn't physically hurt them. I'm positive that the fish knows however that there is a giant rod sticking through them and gets pretty upset about it. Think about with extremely severe burns, you don't feel pain in the worst parts because the flesh with the pain nerves has been killed, I bet you would be pretty scared and freak out like a fish that is being skinned regardless if it happened to you

krux

Damage avoidance reflexes is different than pain, I think that is what they are going for. If a fish feels things touching it, it simply tries to move away. The more pressure that is exerted on it, the more determined it is to move away. In the case of ich, the fish has the response of trying to rub it off. That does not mean that it is itchy, that is just its response to having something persistantly stuck on it. Back when we would tag fish on the reef for study, they would scrape to remove the tags... and a tag through a fin does not itch, you could describe the sensation as other stuff maybe, but not itching.
I will give you a human example of this.
I shattered my tibia playing football many years ago. The damage to the nerve system when it compounded removed all surface sensation, pain, heat, cold, minor shock, etc. Like in those movies, I can poke myself with a pencil or other sharp object and it doesnt hurt. If I exert pressure however, I can feel that force against myself. Over time, I have learned that even though I could not describe what I feel as pain, very fast, or very strong blows cause me to move away from whatever it is, out of an interest in preserving the integrity of my leg.
I am not a scientist, but I would estimate that fish and other less developed families of animals react the same way. In my case the advanced nervous system was damaged, in a fish it never develops.
Yes fish do "freak out" if you touch or poke them too much, they flop wildly if out of water or if sandwitched between the glass and your hand or net, but these are just attempts to avoid capture, a basic prey response. It is instinctive. I don't know about the wheezing fish hook instance, maybe it is similar to our gag reflex, but involves air because of the gills.
JMO, HTH

gatorcsm

I agree with krux and barry. Receptors can do more than just say something 'hurts' it can tell them something where it doesn't need to be, so get it off (ie: Ich). Kind of like if you are held underwater and can't breath for fear of inhaling water, it doesn't hurt, but you sure as hell want to get up and out of the water. I could only assume that they have the same sort of reaction. Just on a somewhat more basic reaction. Of course this doesn't necessarily mean we should treat them as if they have no feelings.... They probably feel, just not necessarily 'hurt'
Does seem like a hard theory to prove though.
Coralcollector:
And if you

[hr]
a fish, it usually would dangle on the end of the

[hr]
... What does that have to do with feeling pain? They may just not want to particularly be stuck on a piece of wood/metal with no way of getting off of it..
It's not to be inhumane, just that people live by

[hr]
fishing for food...
And the fish would happen to wiggle on the end trying to get off. Probably won't kick though... :)
Actually, since having fish, even freshwater, i've started to dislike fishing.. They look so cute now. Even the spanish mackeral have something about them...

sea goblin

The idea of animals feeling pain cannot be compared to ourselves or differant animals for that matter. Differant organisms have differant levels of developed nervous systems that help in determining touch, hot cold sensations, and even pain. All animals do not feel in the same way that we do. To compare a horse and a fish together is the same as apples and oranges. I happen to beleive in what science comes out with, if what they say is later proven wrong then i will accept that, but as this is the current idea then i would say ok, they are the experts they are right.
Sea Goblin