fish care

dperna

All of the following I was considering. Either a pocupine or dogface puffer, picasso trigger, and blue hippo tang. Do any require feeding more than once a day? Also I was told compatability shouldnt be an issue...is that right?

nicetry

Compatability shouldn't be an issue but the trigger might get pushy as it matures.
Curious as to what size tank you plan to house them in. All grow large and require substantial space. Crowding will lead to aggression/stress/illness.

dperna

Wouldnt all be alright in a 58g?
p.s. i wouldnt get both puffers, just one or the other incase my description up there was confusing

nicetry

Originally Posted by DPerna
Wouldnt all be alright in a 58g?
p.s. i wouldnt get both puffers, just one or the other incase my description up there was confusing
Your tank is not suited to any one of these fish as it reaches maturity. The puffer and tang can exceed a foot in length, while the trigger will hit close to 8+ inches. All are active and need much more lateral swimming room than your sysem could provide. A couple ways to look at it; Select the fish you want and then, through careful research, build your system around those fish, providing room for them to grow and flourish for the long haul, or select your tank (whatever size) and choose fish that you can house comfortably for the duration. IMO, the fish you want would require a system in excess of 150 gallons; 6 foot minimum.
Not what you wanted to hear but you'd have much better luck with smaller fish that won't be fighting for every inch of real estate.

dperna

ug, that is disapionting lol. how is it then on swf.com i looked at the blue hippotangs and it said minimum tank 40g, and in books i've read that for the puffers to have no smaller than 55g's, same with the trigger

nicetry

ug, that is disapionting lol. how is it then on swf.com i looked at the blue hippotangs and it said minimum tank 40g, and in books i've read that for the puffers to have no smaller than 55g's, same with the trigger
That's really misleading. Try not to go by the tank sizes recommended on most sites. They are usually underestimated, and often reflect someone's idea of a minimum tank size as opposed to an optimum tank size; Big difference in most cases.
Sadly, you'll usually find a few folks that will tell you the fish will be fine and that they've kept the same fish in smaller tanks with no problems. IME, you're best to do research on the fish you want, including ADULT sizes. THen talk to folks who have kept them long term, not for a few months. The most conscientious hobbyists take great pains to provide the best possible environment for their fish (space, diet, tankmates, etc..) and don't settle for the minimum requirements.
Again, studies show that crowding leads to stress which can weaken immune systems and make fish more susceptible to health problems. If you don't want to commit long term to one of these fish, then buy a juvenile and trade it in after a couple years when it starts to pack some size on. Not really enjoyable in my book, but it's an option.

nicetry

alright, thanks for the help
What are the tank dimensions (specifically length)? If you're interested in a nice community tank with lots of color and activity, there are some great options. I used to have a 56 gallon tall tank that was awesome. Wish I still had it sometimes. I had a nice selection of compatable fish along with some neat inverts. It was very eye catching.

dperna

Its an Oceanic 58 gallon, 36" long, 18" deep and 18" tall. I actually just got it from a neighbor who no longer had time for the hobby. He sold me the tank/very nice stand, sump, and berlin classic protein skimmer. not to mention with all the live rock and sand. All for $100