Fish for my 125

rlmabry

IMO the naso tang is too big for the tank. You might get away with it if the tank just has a few fish with it. Your bio load is pretty high to have a reef tank. With 4 tangs and 3 angels you are going to be doing a great deal of water changes. I would pick your favorite tang and angel and just stay with one of each

bterry29

rimabry - I'm not going to have 4 tangs and 3 angels. The list is just fish I'm interested in and I was asking for advice about which one's would do well in a reef, which one's get along together, etc.

bterry29

I've got a couple of other fish I wanted to get feedback on. One is the blue stripe butterfly and the other is the Bluechin Trigger. In the Marine Fishes book both are listed as being reef safe. Anyone had either of these?

ebsochin

Not to jump on the band wagon with the whole TANG issue, but from my experience, I had a 7-9 inch Blonde Naso in a 180 which is somewhat larger than a 125, only in height, and he did well for some time and then out grew the tank. I originally got him when he was about 6 inches and then I had to take him to the LFS for a larger tank. Just not enough swimming space when they get larger. Another point to think about with tangs is that they are fast swimmers, the larger they get, the more they might knock over a coral or two when you start your reef. Just my $.02.
As far as your fish list,
Look into either a flame or flameback angel or coral beauty.
I would go with the hippo tang rather than the naso for reasons stated above, that and I believe the hippo doesn't get as large, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The clowns you chose are good, make sure to put them in first so they can find a home, a nice anenome would be good too. Although my clowns like my toadstool leather.
I would suggest the pink square anthia (see if you can find a male and female pair)
I would shy away from butterflies. There aren't too many that are reef safe and I know that they are prone to sickness in the aquarium.
Have you thought about a mandarin or citron goby or royal gramma?? Just some ideas.
Please take my advice for the naso as just that, advice. I don't want to get into this fued that the others are having. Remember this is a hobby!! We are supposed to have fun!!:cheer: :cheer:

guineawhop

i would also stay away from butterflys as well but if you had to pick the blue stripe is not a bad idea. it's just a matter of getting them to stay alive. the trigger on the other hand i would completely stay away from. even though it's reef safe it will eat all your inverts if you got any. hippo tangs are a bad idea by the way. they are prone to ich more so than other tangs. if you were to pick anohter tang other than the naso i would pick a chevron tang. they are gorgeous as babies and their patterns change as they get a bit older but not too much. by the way mandarin goby's should be avoided at all costs unless you have tons of live rock like upwards in the category of 150-200 pounds.

bseth90

IMHO I like the hippo. Yes prone to ich at first, but once est. they can be an easy tang to keep. I have one with a purple and he broke out when first put into the tank and then everything has been great since. They eat like a "hippo" of course so feed him well. Loves to spend time with the cleaner shrimp which seemed to help. I also like the trigger idea, but do agree about inverts. I'm starting up a 150 and trying to decide myself.