Fish of the Week: SHARKS!

novice150

I'll throw in a bit about black tips. Black tips are open water Requiem sharks. They give birth to live babies, normally born in the 12" to 21" range. In most regions they grow to just under 4', but they can attain a maximum length of nearly 6'. Black tips grow approximatly .1" per month. In the wild, their diets consist of a range of small fish and inverts.
Now, a little hypocrisy. :D Black Tip Reef Sharks should by no means be considered an ideal aquarium shark. They are free swimming sharks, and need lots of space. My tank is very big, but in reality not nearly big enough to house a full grown black tip. I knew this going into it, however I also knew for a fact that I was capable of upgrading to a larger tank in the future. Just in case I cannot, I took the liberty of having a sit down with my local public aquarium. They WILL take my shark at any given time if I request they do so. I'd like to caution all prospective large shark owners... Just because an aquarium in Denver Colorado will take on a full grown black tip, does not mean all aquariums are anxious or even willing to take an overgrown shark. Most public aquariums are at their max stocking capacity, and very few are interested in the sharks commonly available in the hobby.
I plan to add some more to this "sharky" thread in the next few days.... but for now, here's some of my tank/shark pics.

novice150

One more.
For the record, these are the only inhabitants left in the tank. The black tip and the leopard (mostly the black tip) have killed and eaten everything else. Too many fish to mention.

novice150

Originally posted by splash1914
Novice is the master...... we are not worthy!!!!!!! :D

LOL. Jack of all trades, master of none.:)

reeferdude

Wanted to add 2 interesting things about brownbands. First off mine is nearly totally inactive during the day but when all the lights go out I can hear him splashing the water as he swims around my tank, the other is about breeding. Jim said that they are known to breed in captivity, well there have also been confirmed cases of these sharks changing --- to reproduce in captivity.

jim27

Wow really? I haven't heard that. Cool. I do remember a story posted here a little while ago about a bamboo that reproduced without a mate though.

tony detroit

Could anybody tell me if the eco aqualizer works or if they have any friends that have one that works. All advice is greatly appreciated. I am still slightly hesitant of buying one. If you are unfamiliar with it check out ecoaqualizer.com.

I

irenicus

Nice job Splash... Good info! Boy Novice your tanks has sure come a long way. It's an inspiration to us all!:cool:

grouperhead

I think I'm going to do a 240g shark tank in the future. Jim, would I be able to keep a pair of bamboos and an epaulette, or vice versa? Or, with that mix, am I looking at fighting between the sharks? Great info on the thread guys. Bo

rkm

This question is kinda out there. But How much do you think your shark eats a week.
How many fish squid whatever?
What would you think the cost would be per week?
How about for a adult bamboo?
I have an idea on how much my setup is going to cost I just want to see how much they might cost per week?
I am real sorry if this sounds silly.
Ohh and by they way this is a great post. Thank you to all of you that have added your info. I am trying to read up on this before I even start to buy what I need.
Thanks again
Ryan

jim27

Originally posted by Grouperhead
I think I'm going to do a 240g shark tank in the future. Jim, would I be able to keep a pair of bamboos and an epaulette, or vice versa? Or, with that mix, am I looking at fighting between the sharks? Great info on the thread guys. Bo

I would say a pair of bamboos or a pair of epaulettes would do just fine in there, you could even try breeding a pair. Although three would be a bit much. What another shark keeper has told me about his experience with epaulettes is that they may be aggressive towards other shark tankmates, but with a pair you shouldn't have to worry. IME brownbanded bamboos aren't very aggressive though. If you have any more Q's post em.
HTH
Oh yeah and also IME(with my agressive whitespotted) the aggression between sharks only occures during feeding. So if you can make sure the bitter always has something in its mouth then you should be ok.

splash1914

Ryan, the food cost for the sharks is minimal... I go to publix and spend about 5-10 bucks every few weeks on shrimp/squid/scallops .... I supplement shark formula as well... I feed my 2 leopards and eel every few days...
2-3 shrimp or one shrimp and few scallops or one shrimp with shark formula.... Shrimp is their staple diet with scallops, squid, and shark formula thrown in..