Fish only tank??

spanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/381681/fish-only-tank#post_3326246
I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's still born. I miscarried a year ago and it was one of the hardest experiences of my life. The hobby is definitely expensive, but worth it in the end. I really dove into the hobby much more for the enjoyment rather than for making money (I used to breed clams) in the past year due to the trauma that I went through, so I definitely understand that end of it.
The tank can be cycled with just sand, it just takes longer. I guess it doesn't matter much now as you decided to buy rock anyways. I wish you the best of luck with your tank and hope that you stay as a member of the board.
Lori, the tank you want to set up can be done without rock. You will need to have some good mechanical and chemical filtration to maintain some balance though. You only need to look at some of the restaurants and doctor's offices etc. to see some really beautiful tanks set up the way you are talking about. For BTLDreef, why would you say it would take longer to cycle a tank with no rock? Would not the bacteria grow to meet the amount of available ammonia - nitrite available in the system at the same rate no matter what? Here is a good article on the growth of nitrifying bacteria.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/381681/fish-only-tank/20#post_3326308
For BTLDreef, why would you say it would take longer to cycle a tank with no rock? Would not the bacteria grow to meet the amount of available ammonia - nitrite available in the system at the same rate no matter what? Here is a good article on the growth of nitrifying bacteria.
I have just noticed from personal experience that having LR in the tank does allow it to cycle quicker.

grammygigi

Well, I had to cancel my live rock order for the time being, kinda bummed me out :(
I had some dead coral on a shelf, good size pieces, so I boiled them, let them cool and dry really well, and put them in the tank. It might not be live rock, but for now it's something for the bacteria to grow on.
I tested the water this morning,
Specific gravity: 1.021
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
PH: 8.0
Amonia: 0
Been going 5 days now, when should I test it again? ( can't really remember from the first tank how often to check )
Also, should my water be 1.021? Should I mix more salt water, stronger salt water, and add it? What is your ideal specific gravity?
Thank you in advance for your replies
And I've been feeding the tank flake a couple times a day... Not sure it's doing any good??
Lori

dmanatee

For a FOWLR tank I "think" that is an acceptable Specific gravity. Also, I have used dried coral in my aquariums and depending on the type are quite attractive for the aquarium. Most are fairly porous and hold bacteria well. (I will note that I am not an expert though)
One question for you though, have you seen the ammonia spike at all above zero. If there was no spike, then your tank "probably" hasn't started to cycle yet. If this is the case you might want to look up using the dinner shrimp method to get the cycle underway.
Looks like your on the way to me!!
Best wishes.

florida joe

Wow I guess no one remembers me in the old days, anyway I need to make a point here. People seem to think the more things you have in your tank the more area WILL BE colonized. This is absolutely untrue. The colonization of bacteria for nitrification and dinitrificatoin is predicated on the about of organics we introduce into our tank. Most if not all of which will start out in small systems on area of constant contact with nutrient rich water such as mechanical fitter pads then slowly expand to areas within our tank that receive good flow. I really do not think that any of us are introducing the amounts of nutrient need to colonize every surface of out tanks.
and to add to my good friend Henrys post.
LIVE ROCK DOES NOT MEAN NITRIFICATION

grammygigi

I haven't seen anything spike, because it's the first time I test the water. If I don't bother with boosting the cycle with a shrimp, will it eventually cycle anyway? I'm sure it I'll take longer, but I just want to know that it will cycle at some point in the next couple of months. Really don't plan to put anything in it until after Christmas. (unless I can get ahold of a bit of rock, dead or live, then I would put that in there.
It doesn't matter to me how long it takes, I know what it's eventually going to look like, lol, I can see it in my head ;) so if it takes a year to get it to the picture in my head, then so be it.
I'm probably not ready for a cuc yet, but when the time comes I think I'll get 2 or 3 emerald crabs, maybe 5 Snails, and 5 dwarf hermits. If they start to mess things up I'll get them out. Should I get anything else?
Keep in mind that down the road there will be corals so I don't want to get anything that isn't reef safe, even though it won't be reef at the start.
Ty dmanatee, for your reply :)
Lori

grammygigi

Ty Florida Joe,
Will putting an uncooked shrimp in the tank introduce the organic breakdown needed?
If so, then I will do it. I've never used the shrimp method before, so it will be new to me.
Again Ty for your reply :)
Lori

spanko

The famous George Carlin
The term Jumbo Shrimp has always amazed me. What is a Jumbo Shrimp? I mean, it's like Military Intelligence - the words don't go together, man.

grammygigi

Ok, tomorrow morning I will go to the market and buy, "1 single shrimp!" they are a favorite of my husbands, but he has very high cholesterol and should not be eating them, so the people in the sea food department are going to look at me like I have 7 heads! LOL
So to make sure I have it right, I want the grey, uncooked shrimp, right? I think the pink ones are cooked.
Ty all for your replies :)
Lori

pauloesco

And, don't forget for FO, there's always pwer filters, cannister filters or wet/dry.
but the cycle is the cycle -- generally the rate of growth of the bacteria that do the job are limited by what they grow on and what they have to feed on.... along with water flow over wherever they're growing and oxygen. So, W/Ds actually are faster than a tank with LR and a dead shrimp, simply because the water and media allow for fast bacterial growth.
Of course, if you can get cured LR (borrowed?) or LS that'll also speed things up, since you're not waiting for spontaneous generation.

grammygigi

I did put 40 lbs of live sand in there, I think on the 4th or 5 th of nov. I'm seeing the brown diatom algae on the sand tonight (not sure if I spelled that right)
Time for hermits and snails?? Anything else for cuc at this point?
Thanks in advance :)
Lori