fish per gallon

gregzbobo

I've read on this board in various posts that a general guideline of number of fish per gallon is 1 inch of fish per 3 gallons. Does this mean one inch of length, or one inch of girth? I would think a fat fish might produce more waste than a skinny fish of close to the same length, I may be wrong though. I know its just a guideline, but was wondering if perhaps a shark might be able to clear things up a bit? Thanks.

surfnturf

Actually, everything I've read said 1 inch per 5 gallons. They are referring to length and it is only a general guideline, it doesn't take into consideration the girth of the fish, but has a built in safety factor.

I guess it is a matter of oppinion because I have heard both 1 in per 3 gal and 1 in per 5 gal. That uis full grown not when you buy them. The max length a fish will get. Maybe a couple of sharks will answer and we willget a general concencus.

sistrmary

IMO it totally depends on the fish. I mean porker puffers averagely reach 11" in aquariums (some get bigger, some get not so big) but you couldn't pay me enough to put one in a 55gal tank. They produce too large a bioload and are too active. Again, with tangs (although there is a lot of dissention on this topic) the smaller tangs get from 7-9" long, but they're streamlined swimmers and very active...so I wouldn't keep one in anything under 75gal. I know there are people who will tell you that they have three to five tangs in a 55gal. What they rarely tell you though is that they're either upgrading the tank when the fish get larger than 3" each or they forget to mention that they've lost ten tangs or so because of this.
The only real way to determine how many fish you can have in your particular aquarium is to study the fish before you get them and study the fish you plan on getting, watch the cycles (watch for mini-cycles) and see how your tank is doing overall. I've known a lot of people who push the guidelines because they've wanted an active tank. And I can't tell you how many times I've had to hear them freaking out because the tank crashed, or one fish snapped and started killing all the other fish, (most likely to do this: Yellow Tangs.) especially new additions.

bang guy

Greg, it's like you said, it's just a guideline to get a rough idea of acceptable bioload. You still need to consider the compatibility and needs of each individual fish.
In general my guideline is 1" of fish per 5 gallons. When measuring the fish you should use the typical adult size. Consideration can be made for sedentary fish (like Gobies) but you also need to consider the fact that active fish are going to use more than the typical share of bioload (like Angels or Tangs).