Fish With Personality/Recommendations

mony97

Hey everyone, I have some questions for all of you, so sorry if this gets a little long winded

First off what are some fish that have a great personality that would work in a 65G FOWLR? The stock list I have going so far is:
2 Pajama Cardinals
2 False Perc. Clowns
2 Firefish Gobies
1 Sixline Wrasse
1 Midas Blenny
1 or 2 Tangs (Chevron, Kole, or Tomini) if this is acceptable?
1 Flame Angel
1 Bumble Bee Goby
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
I am trying to do as much research as I can before I start the tank that is coming soon

So please let me know if this list would be overstocking the tank, or if i could get away with more? I do plan on making a Refugium at some point to handle a higher bioload but not sure when or exactlyl how yet. Also what are some of the better powerheads I have read and found on here that the Koralia work nicely and I should shoot for 20 times the turnover of my tank per hour?
And last if this stock list will work what order should I add these fish?
THX ya'll

salt life

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3033619
no tangs and you are maxed out with that list IMO.
+1, knock off the tangs and you have a full tank. Koralia's are pretty good, I use them in both of my tanks, in a 65g I would say 2x #3's would be good, I use 2x # 4's in both of my 75g's so I am only going off of that.

mony97

Haha yeah I figured that the tank would be pretty maxed out, I found myself wanting more and more fish and of course some of the ones I like seem to do better in pairs so that does not help.
And as for the tangs I should take them off the list all together? I was told awhile ago that some of the smaller tangs could work in a 65, but have also heard that almost every tang should be provided with at least a six foot tank. Is there any way without getting a larger tank that I could keep one?

meowzer

Originally Posted by mony97
http:///forum/post/3033791
Haha yeah I figured that the tank would be pretty maxed out, I found myself wanting more and more fish and of course some of the ones I like seem to do better in pairs so that does not help.
And as for the tangs I should take them off the list all together? I was told awhile ago that some of the smaller tangs could work in a 65, but have also heard that almost every tang should be provided with at least a six foot tank. Is there any way without getting a larger tank that I could keep one?

I wouldn't suggest trying...it will not be able to be kept long term, and only end up stressed out.

sepulatian

Being you are going FOWLR, go with one clown and one fire fish. No need for pairs in an environment where they will not mate anyway. They are better off alone. You will get more "community" behaviors rather than aggressive, trying to keep everyone away while they don't produce offspring, behaviors. I would knock the Cardinals from the list too. You can get a smaller tang if you keep the stock light. Water quality is a big issue with tangs. If you get the tang then ditch the sixline. They can be mean. Remember to stock the least aggressive first. One fish at a time. If you rush then you will have many problems keeping a salt tank. Allow at least three weeks between purchases.

halamaya

I have a Kole Tang in a 55 gal reef tank with a sixline. Sixline didn't mess with my Tang but would not let me add any other fish into my tank. My target dragonet dissappeared after having him for a year so I booted him. Put my sixline into my aggressive tank, and he jumped ship on the 5th day
I just make sure my Tang gets plenty of marine algae to eat! Did have an issue with him attacking his reflection in the back wall though. Looked like he actually got in a fight.

tscuda

IMO I'd knock that list down to 1 each of those fish and lose the Wrasse and Tang. But add a Foxface and a Spotted Hawkfish. I belive that what put you at the max for a 65 gallon tank.

windlasher

http:///forum/post/3033468
Hey everyone, I have some questions for all of you, so sorry if this gets a little long winded

First off what are some fish that have a great personality that would work in a 65G FOWLR? The stock list I have going so far is:
2 Pajama Cardinals
2 False Perc. Clowns
2 Firefish Gobies
1 Sixline Wrasse
1 Midas Blenny
1 or 2 Tangs (Chevron, Kole, or Tomini) if this is acceptable?
1 Flame Angel
1 Bumble Bee Goby
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
I am trying to do as much research as I can before I start the tank that is coming soon

So please let me know if this list would be overstocking the tank, or if i could get away with more? I do plan on making a Refugium at some point to handle a higher bioload but not sure when or exactlyl how yet. Also what are some of the better powerheads I have read and found on here that the Koralia work nicely and I should shoot for 20 times the turnover of my tank per hour?
THX ya'll

Redlip Blenny - These things rock. I swear to god mine follows me from side to side and watches me.

R

rcreations

Forget the tangs, they don't have a nice personality anyway. They are really boring fish, they don't interact with people, I've never seen one that does. All they do all day is swim back and forth grazing on the LR.

oceansidefish

http:///forum/post/3033468

2 Pajama Cardinals I would axe these guys
2 False Perc. Clowns I agree with only one here, and not because they would kill other fish if they mate...I have one true perc and he has more personality than anything
2 Firefish Gobies One here as well, they don't always pair well
1 Sixline Wrasse I would go with a Possum wrasse here, not agressive and a neat fish, could also sub in a twin spot hog
1 Midas Blenny good choice
1 or 2 Tangs (Chevron, Kole, or Tomini) if this is acceptable? Kole would be ok
1 Flame Angel I would skip this one if you want a tang more
1 Bumble Bee Goby ok
1 Tiger Pistol ShrimpThese guys are a pain in the you know what when they get bigger. Mine set off havoc in my tank, they are cool for a while, but then things start disapearing
1 Cleaner Shrimpget two

THX ya'll

If you want a tang get a Kole....Yellow eye Kole's are great fish...

mony97

Wow! All of these post have been extremely helpful! keep the suggestions coming!
And for the Clown it seems that most of you are saying just do one? And I have heard that the firefish will sometimes not pair well so I'm cool with axing one of them. And oceanside has me torn now between keeping the flame angel in mix or going with a tang. What do you all think would be the better choice?

hlcroghan

Well if you are going to have any corals, get the tang. If you aren't then go for the angel. angels can sometimes nip corals. it's kind of a crap shoot when you get them. I would personally get the tang because everyone has small angels. I think a 65 is borderline for the size tank they need so think carefully on this.

mony97

Im trying, and thats one of the reasons why Im on this site, you guys are all great with this stuff and like I've stated in the past I want to do as much research as possible and built a tank that will last before the tank is even set up, so thx for all the input and keep it coming! BTW I'm not really thinking corals at this point but not sure yet, Xenia is pretty cool looking and would be tempting to buy down the line.

hlcroghan

And xenias and sofites seems to be the one that angels go after the most, From stories I have heard anyway. I would totally go for a small tang as long as that is the big one in your tank, that is. I would have the tang as the show case fish and a lot of other small ones for more activity.