Fishing Suprise!

hunt

I decided to go fishing today. I packed a small rod and a few hooks with some ham(not the best bait but its all i had) into my backpack and rode my bike down to Millenium Park where there is tons of lakes and the Grand River basically flows right next to it. I was fishing for Large mouth bass in a small lake and suddenly a HUGE carp swims by. I was scared at first because id never seen one in this lake and was not expecting it.
I was wondering, if anyone fishes for carp out there, what bait/methods do you use? Ive heard of using corn, rice, or wheat.
(BTW, all i caught was a bunch of blue gill)

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Hunt
http:///forum/post/3267726
I decided to go fishing today. I packed a small rod and a few hooks with some ham(not the best bait but its all i had) into my backpack and rode my bike down to Millenium Park where there is tons of lakes and the Grand River basically flows right next to it. I was fishing for Large mouth bass in a small lake and suddenly a HUGE carp swims by. I was scared at first because id never seen one in this lake and was not expecting it.
I was wondering, if anyone fishes for carp out there, what bait/methods do you use? Ive heard of using corn, rice, or wheat.
(BTW, all i caught was a bunch of blue gill)
Most people consider carp trash fish. I wouldn't eat one, butthey do put up one heck of a fight. I used to use the same bait I used to catch catfish. Some blood bait or something really smells.

calbert0

My neighbor used to use a bow and arrow with a thin, light weight rope attached to it. Kind of like a harpoon. If you stay still enough carp will just slowly swim by eating off the bottom of the lake...
He would plant them in his garden for fertilizer.
Probably not what you were looking for.... but i think you should give it a shot

reefraff

Bread balls will work. If you know how to clean and prepare them they are supposed to be good to eat but I just smash their heads and throw them back in the water for the scavengers. Biggest I ever caught was about 35 pounder at the Colorado river. I though a chunk of driftwood had tangled me until it turned up stream. Pretty good fight.

speg

hehe carp put up a fight? I feel bad for people who don't fish in the saltwater.... try catching a 5-10lb jack... you'll think you snagged someone's boat.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3267804
hehe carp put up a fight? I feel bad for people who don't fish in the saltwater.... try catching a 5-10lb jack... you'll think you snagged someone's boat.
5-10 jack? I catch those on light tackle. Try a 50 lb. King or Ling.

speg

Try catching a 30lb stingray... it's like dragging a rock in...
Try catching a huge tarpon...
Or try snagging a rock with spiderwire and breaking your rod because spiderwire won't break...

speg

only 50lbs? He must be holding that up towards the camera.. thing looks bigger than he is.

stdreb27

There isn't much better than catching an oversized red in the flats on a light bay rig.
Make sure to use tiny hooks. Their mouths are small

slice

Well, first of all, for all you hardware-chuckers, if it ain't on a fly, it doesn't count.
There was an article in the last issue of Eastern Flyfishing
about targeting Carp. Carp were introduced from Europe in the 1800s by the Sec of the ******** at the time, thinking it would be a boon to food supplies. The main way of distribution was by railroad, pouring buckets of fry into rivers from the railroad bridges.
Somewhere else, probably another flyfishing mag, said a study showed that Carp was one of the most intelligent of all freshwater fish.
Who cares? I ain't fishing for them....
Below:
Rainbow from Armstrong Spring Creek, near Bozeman MT. Not the biggest of that trip, but the most fun, caught on a #22 nymph, 7X tippet, took me well into the backing
Sport-sized Jack Crevelle
Sport-sized Snook
14# Steelhead from Pere Marquet River in MI
30# Tarpon near Sailfish Is, FL. Caught a 110# the day before, but the pic only shows the hole in the water made when it was released...
Going fishing next week here in NC for Smallmouth and maybe...maybe..... a Muskie.....

reefraff

When I first moved north I landed in northern Idaho. Went fishing a Fernan lake in Coure D' Alene with it spitting snow. Something ripped on my line and I am thinking mega trout. Turned out to be about an 18" blue Catfish. I've caught hundreds of catfish but always in warm water and they never fought anything like this fish did. Pretty tasty too.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Slice
http:///forum/post/3267829
Well, first of all, for all you hardware-chuckers, if it ain't on a fly, it doesn't count.
There was an article in the last issue of Eastern Flyfishing
about targeting Carp. Carp were introduced from Europe in the 1800s by the Sec of the ******** at the time, thinking it would be a boon to food supplies. The main way of distribution was by railroad, pouring buckets of fry into rivers from the railroad bridges.
Somewhere else, probably another flyfishing mag, said a study showed that Carp was one of the most intelligent of all freshwater fish.
Who cares? I ain't fishing for them....
Below:
Rainbow from Armstrong Spring Creek, near Bozeman MT. Not the biggest of that trip, but the most fun, caught on a #22 nymph, 7X tippet, took me well into the backing
Sport-sized Jack Crevelle
Sport-sized Snook
14# Steelhead from Pere Marquet River in MI
30# Tarpon near Sailfish Is, FL. Caught a 110# the day before, but the pic only shows the hole in the water made when it was released...
Going fishing next week here in NC for Smallmouth and maybe...maybe..... a Muskie.....
Pretty 'fly' for a white guy..

fishtaco

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3267867
When I first moved north I landed in northern Idaho. Went fishing a Fernan lake in Coure D' Alene with it spitting snow. Something ripped on my line and I am thinking mega trout. Turned out to be about an 18" blue Catfish. I've caught hundreds of catfish but always in warm water and they never fought anything like this fish did. Pretty tasty too.
Reminds me of when I was trolling for trout with flasher and the whole set-up and suddenly my pole bent over and the drag was screaming. Thought I had caught a big one too and it was a big one, only it was a huge bluegill the likes of which I have only seen a few times mounted. No idea why that fish was in deep water in the middle of the lake or why it took that set-up.
Fishtaco

rslinger

Carp will eat about anything. Depending on what kinda of carp it is. Night crawlers work the blue carp like minnows. they are fun to reel in all the same so good luck.

hunt

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3267804
You have no idea how long ive wanted to do that.
Originally Posted by spanko

http:///forum/post/3267809
Hey Hunt, wasn't one of those Asian Carp they are trying to keep out of the great lakes was it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7zkTnQVaM
Better keep your head down!
definintly not an asian carp, it will be a while before/if they can get a foothold in Lake Michigan because of their breeding habits/needs.
Thanks for the help everyone.
p.s. I,ll post pics if i can catch one(wich i will of corse
)

reefraff

Originally Posted by Fishtaco
http:///forum/post/3267907
Reminds me of when I was trolling for trout with flasher and the whole set-up and suddenly my pole bent over and the drag was screaming. Thought I had caught a big one too and it was a big one, only it was a huge bluegill the likes of which I have only seen a few times mounted. No idea why that fish was in deep water in the middle of the lake or why it took that set-up.
Fishtaco
Pound for pound I don't think anything fights like a Bluegill. I remember my brother catching one that looked like a small fish fighting, reeled it in and it was so small he couldn't get the hook out. It was about the size of a Rapala.