Flame Angel

zacg

anybody have a flame angel that could give me some advice i was wanting to add one to my tank i have a 75g with a yellow tang, blue hippo, lmb, and royal dottyback. I also have a cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp and i haev several corals would it be ok in my tank?

B

bigtankbigfish

i dont see why not. Just make sure he doesnt nip at your corals. SOme people say they are not reef safe others have them with no problems. I had a coral beauty in a reef and he was ok.

meowzer

I have a flame angel in my 225g with corals...mine has not nipped at any (knocks on wood) although....that does not mean that someone elses won't either....
You just have to decide whether you want to take the chance or not...
If you look thru the threads, you will see A LOT of people have flame angels in their reef tanks too

pleasants9

ive seen a lot of flames in reef tanks, but my opinion on angels in reef tanks is like a a normal guy surrounded by drugs, once he tries it he never stops...lol...not really, but my coral beauty went from awsome to slowly killing my corals, three days after taking him back to the lfs everything had improved tenfold

nycbob

i'd say it 75/25 reef safe. what kinds of corals do u hv? flame angels tend to nip at soft brain corals more. get a small specimen, since it most likely hasnt acquired the bad habit of eating corals yet.

gio28

i agree with nycbob. i dont have a flame angel but i've done alot of research on them cause i might get one. if you get one small it is less likely to have that habit. maybe keeping it well fed would also be a good idea because it would have no reason to nip your corals if its not hungry. i would take the chance cause they are a really cool fish.

zacg

i have a brain coral,frogspawn,several diffrent mushrooms,colt coral,yellow gorgonian, candy coral, red sponge, gsp, christmas tree rock, chili coral, xenia, kenya trees, and feather dusters. so i have a good bit of coral i called my lfs and they have one that is 2 inches would that be small enough?

tank a holic

Originally Posted by ZacG
http:///forum/post/3098868
i have a brain coral,frogspawn,several diffrent mushrooms,colt coral,yellow gorgonian, candy coral, red sponge, gsp, christmas tree rock, chili coral, xenia, kenya trees, and feather dusters. so i have a good bit of coral i called my lfs and they have one that is 2 inches would that be small enough?
sounds like a candy store to me lol

nycbob

the sponge could be a goner. my flame was like 1 1/2 inches when i got it. 2 inches is a good size.