Flame HawkFish

chris4reef

Hey guys,
I have a flame hawkfish and im wondering if it would be safe to add a shrimp? I have noticed that my hermit crabs and peppermint shrimps have been missing slowly since i added him last year.
I was thinking about a scarlet cleaner shrimp but dont want to spend the buckets for someones lunch.

meowzer

I think it's iffy.....so it is a chance....I had NOTICE I say HAD....3 peppermint shrimp in my 54G....I got a flame hawk and they started disappearing....NOW the peppermints were all of 2" if not more.....so they were bigger then the hawk...I am not 100% the hawk had anything to do with this....BUT...they are gone...and the hawk is not
In other words......add shrimp at your own (or their) risk

tang4me

I wouldn't do it unless you can get one really cheap. I would say the flame is eating your peppermints. I would throw a peppermint in for mine every now and then. Some he ate right away and others he left alone for a while.

mrdc

Yep it's iffy. My two cleaners stay away from my hawkfish which is listed as iffy also.

srfisher17

All hawkfish species will eat shrimp. Although, I'm sure someone has one that doesn't. Flame Hawks will also eat snails, hermits, feather duster worms, etc., in addition to shrimp. great fish though! I have a pair of Flame hawks and they are a real favorite---tons of personality.

hollisterchick

i have a flame hawkfish... the only shrimp that he hasn't attacked in my tank was the coral banded shrimp... you could try that... of course it's at your own risk...

mproctor4

Originally Posted by hollisterchick
http:///forum/post/3270077
i have a flame hawkfish... the only shrimp that he hasn't attacked in my tank was the coral banded shrimp... you could try that... of course it's at your own risk...
That is interesting. I've had a flame hawk for about 2 1/2 months and have never seen him pick at anything. We have snails, hermits, 2 shrimp, and 2 feather dusters. I'm gonna have to keep a close watch on him. Now the neon dottyback......that is another story. I've been seeing him pull hermit crabs out of their shells. I don't think he eats them, just pulls them out and you see crab flying about a foot in the water. Funny, but sad also. The flame hawk is fun to watch, he has a great personality.
The look of innocence.