flame scallop babies!!

goldenboy

I've had success with my flame scallop for about two years now. I just noticed what looks to be little scallops on my LR. The LR has been in the tank for years now, and I only have one flame scallop. How do flame scallops reproduce?

bang guy

They are broadcast spawners with a long planktonic feeding period.
I've very impressed you were able to keep one more than a year. Unfortunately the small animals you are describing are probably Ostracodes and not File Clams.

schneidts

Wow,
That's awesome! I've never heard of someone kee[ing one that long, either. Your name suits you.:)

goldenboy

Unfortunately the small animals you are describing are probably Ostracodes and not File Clams.
Huh? Ostracodes, never heard of them....

scottgotts

i am going to get a flame scallop here pretty soon can you plz give me some tips from your sucess goldenboy????

sw65galma

Ya that's something to be pround of..
Most experts cant keep them for a yr....
What do you feed your tank and what do you have in it...like snails, inverts and such...

reef65

I purchased one of the electric flame scallops about 7 months ago, then purchased two more within a month. I love them. They scoot back and forth from the back to the front of my tank through an arch in my live rock.
I feel bad haing them now! I didn't realize that they were tough to keep. My LFS said they would eat all the same things that I feed my anemones. I hope they will continue to do OK.
They are really fun to watch.

fishieness

Originally Posted by reef65
I purchased one of the electric flame scallops about 7 months ago, then purchased two more within a month. I love them. They scoot back and forth from the back to the front of my tank through an arch in my live rock.
I feel bad haing them now! I didn't realize that they were tough to keep. My LFS said they would eat all the same things that I feed my anemones. I hope they will continue to do OK.
They are really fun to watch.
the lied. Type in Rob Tooned Flame scallops into google and click on the first link
yes, what you have been feeding them? Do you have a huge mud filter or something?