Float switch and a Solenoid valve

maelv

I know we aren't supposed to post different websites on here....but SWF don't sell these items. I am looking to make an auto top off using my RO/DI unit. I need help in finding these two items so I can make a DIY top off....
Float Switch
Solenoid Valve
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, point me in the right direction please....

Not looking at spending a big deal of money as I know where I can get a unit for $100...but not trying to spend that kind of money..there are plenty of other costs associated with this hobby
*Email Removed*

joncat24

[
Float Switch
Solenoid Valve
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, point me in the right direction please....

Have u tried typing that in google??????????

maelv

And my AWI unit came with an automatic shut off valve...will I need:
A solenoid for auto top off?
An extra ASOV if I plan on having it fill a storage tank (about 40 gallons or so) and using it as an auto top off?

maelv

Originally Posted by joncat24
Have u tried typing that in google??????????
I have, but to be honest with you John....I don't know exactly what I am looking for...I look and just see all sorts of things....nothing that resembles the website picture I can get the entire kit for $100.....Air Water Ice says that their auto shut off valve is also known as the auto top off....so I am wondering if I even need a solenoid...

viper_930

True, SWF.com doesn't sell auto-top offs, but we can't make exceptions while keeping everything sane. I hope you understand.
A couple quick google searches should turn up a few sites to get what you're looking for.

maelv

Of course I understand.....I have been looking around....and will find something out...thanks for the help folks.

eaglewonj

Originally Posted by maelv
And my AWI unit came with an automatic shut off valve...will I need:
A solenoid for auto top off?
An extra ASOV if I plan on having it fill a storage tank (about 40 gallons or so) and using it as an auto top off?
If I read AWI (in case it gets deleted...that RO/DI place on that big

[hr]
site that makes the Typhoon system) correctly there is no solenoid in the system, the ASOV is pressure based, i.e. when the float closes, pressure backs up, which it then uses to close the inlet side (tap water) to the system. That is for a storage tank, if you have two floats, i guess by way of a tee the water goes to the other float till it closes and backs up the pressure. For top off.... we somehow you have to get a float in there, theirs looks like it requires it to be almost level with the intended water level which would mean drilling the tank. I imagine a creative adaptation will allow that float to be on the tank without drilling it so it may regulate your water level for you.

acrylic51

What you need to do is replace your pressure vessel on your RO/DI unit with a pressure vessel that has the automatic shut off built right into the housing, and it would simplify the install....Only costs $12.00 then you just need a float valve either by Kent or Coralife.......I'd opt for the Coralife, because it's way cheaper than the Kent.......Put these 2 pieces in place, and your RO/DI will automatically shut off when the container is full.......I don't recommend plumbing this directly to your sump or tank, cause float valves can stick over time...
If your looking to make a DIY auto top off you'd need a small powerhead or pump and you can get float valves off of the

[hr]
site rather cheap and wire it up and it'll work just fine.....HTH

eaglewonj

Originally Posted by acrylic51
What you need to do is replace your pressure vessel on your RO/DI unit with a pressure vessel that has the automatic shut off built right into the housing, and it would simplify the install....Only costs $12.00 then you just need a float valve either by Kent or Coralife.......I'd opt for the Coralife, because it's way cheaper than the Kent.......Put these 2 pieces in place, and your RO/DI will automatically shut off when the container is full.......I don't recommend plumbing this directly to your sump or tank, cause float valves can stick over time...
If your looking to make a DIY auto top off you'd need a small powerhead or pump and you can get float valves off of the

[hr]
site rather cheap and wire it up and it'll work just fine.....HTH
That works too. Probably nice to have two tanks and let the RO/DI fill them up and stop with the float. Then you can use one to mix salt in for changes and the other do what acrylic has laid out here and you have a auto topoff. Electronic float to soleniod to power supply for pump in storage tank -->flow on when low, as float rises, turns power to solenoid which releases power to pump, pump turns off, water stops. ta da. You can do it without, but acrylic has a point....could be dangerous if it sticks..., still will be with electronic, but there may be some way to take care of that (maybe don't let ro auto fill the storage tank so there is a controlled pumpable volume.)

maelv

Thanks guys, I think I see what you're saying...well what you're saying Eagle with having the two tanks....one for the mixing of salt, etc....and the other to make an ATO using a pump....not really the route I was hoping to go...but it is an option should I not be able to figure out how to do it...still a bit lost with the pressure vessel acrylic is talking about......Shawn, I shot you a quick message.

wattsupdoc

Cant you just use a toilet tank valve and run you're hose from the ro/di to it? you may need to tinker with it to get it to adjust but its a float valve and require NO power.

maelv

Thanks everyone for pointers....
Originally Posted by TheGrog
Here is what I used for mine.
DIY auto topoff
Good luck

Grog...I like what you have done...and is it still up and running fine? I will take a look at the parts from grainger and see what they are running a year later....

thegrog

Originally Posted by maelv
Thanks everyone for pointers....
Grog...I like what you have done...and is it still up and running fine? I will take a look at the parts from grainger and see what they are running a year later....
Still up and running fine. Even had a snail jam the lower float and the upper one worked perfectly to shut off the flow.
The only thing different is that I now have the RO water running into my Calcium reactor.

hefner413

Originally Posted by TheGrog
http:///forum/post/1972809
Still up and running fine. Even had a snail jam the lower float and the upper one worked perfectly to shut off the flow.
The only thing different is that I now have the RO water running into my Calcium reactor.
Thanks for the info grog. If you don't mind, I need a little extra help... I see the 3 parts you bought from grainger... what else would you need to buy? power cords, etc?
And I see the idea behind the 2 floats and where everything ends up, but I'm not sure on the wiring... like b/w the solenoid and the floats, etc. any way to explain the details more?

jshepherd

Here is my idea. Please tell me if it is safe enough.
Running the ro/di to a float valve in the return portion of the sump set to approx 11" level. I would also then use the float switch and a solenoid at something like 12" that would close the solenoid in the event of a valve failure and the pressure would build and shut off the ro/di like normal.
The only way I could see it failing is during a long power outage and a failed float valve but I think I would have more problems than that.
Any other suggestions would be great. I just really do not want an extra tank setting out.
thanks
John

jshepherd

Or another thought is to use the dual float switches I have and run it as a solenoid system and just use the float valve in the event the solenoid failed the float valve would shut off flow manually.

wattsupdoc

You could do either of those 2 options. However, I just run float valves on 3 of my tanks. Never had a problem with one failing. Been running them for over a year now.