Flow

dabudkrew

i have 2 Korakia 4 and 2 maxi-jet 1200, where should i place them, im new to this and i have ben to two theing to have 2 currents and to have a circular current? which is right??

salty blues

Originally Posted by dabudkrew
http:///forum/post/2554936
i have 2 Korakia 4 and 2 maxi-jet 1200, where should i place them, im new to this and i have ben to two theing to have 2 currents and to have a circular current? which is right??
I think it depends a lot on your tank size, shape , etc.
I would at least place one or more of the mj's pointing at the front glass. Random flow, I'm told is preferred over linear flow. It is more natural and reef-like.

rotarygeek

remember that turnover rate doesnt mean squat if it pointing in the wrong places. try having a power head directed on the sand, well slightly above it to keep detrius suspended. have one going on the surface to move the water and promote good gas exchange, then have another going through and around your lr so the biofilter can do its job. and remember to size them right. a koralia 4 will easily do the turnover rate and probably all three of the above things in a 10 gallon, but it will be too strong to have anything in that tank, same goes for the opposite. if yoiu have too small of a ph trying to do too much, it wont work either. basically move them around a bit till you find somewhere it looks like it will do a good job.

dabudkrew

i have a 72 bow front, i tried pointing a Koralia to the bottom but its too much flow and pickes up alot of sand

rotarygeek

try this. dont point it at the bottom, but so it kind of skims the surface of the sand. it might cuase some dusting but after most the smaller stuff is moved out of the way it should be good.

dabudkrew

well i placed one Koralia on each side of the tank on opposite corners pointing inward and the 2 maxi-jets the samw way but pointing at each other so its one of each on each side, alot of sand still floating around, im going to turn off one powerhead to see if it settles by tomorrow

matt b

Thats alot of flow. Good luck not getting a sand storm. I would try the koralias in each back corner and the maxijets in each front corner face them all in the middle

nordy

I have 2 #2's in my 55gal and ended up pointing them at the front glass, at an angle. This arrangement was determined by watching my corals and zoas and how much they were moving in the flow. I just added 2 of the Koralia nanos the flow behind my rocks and clear out any dead spaces.
As noted by salty blues, individual tanks need individual flow rates and patterns.