Flower pots?!

cafero702

I just got a flower pot form my LFS i wasnt going to buy it cuz i dont know much about them but it was a great deal so i said why not.
I was wondering if anyone has past experiences with them or advice?
Should i put it in my sand on my rocks? How much light does it need? spot feed it no? Flow on it reak strong or normal??

reefforbrains

Do some reading on them as much of what you hear is urban legend and wives tale.
Some wonderful, then others are doomed.
Look up Goniopora. Dismal survival rates in home aquariums but wonderful looking. Seems that the red ones have better survival odds.

cafero702

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/3088836
Do some reading on them as much of what you hear is urban legend and wives tale.
Some wonderful, then others are doomed.
Look up Goniopora. Dismal survival rates in home aquariums but wonderful looking. Seems that the red ones have better survival odds.
o mine are geenish im looking up info on it right now. im thinking up higher in my tank it says it need high lighting.
It dosnt have a hard skeleton though right? it says its a LPS. large polyp stony. That means it has a sotny skeleton right?

cafero702

So it says it should be fed brine shrimp daily. Should u spot feed it daily becaus ei usually feed my corals every other day just pour daphnia in the tank and i feed my tangs brine shrimp and mysis shrimp so i guess they eat those too. But if i spot feed this flower pot everyday it wont shoot up my nitrates??

loopy101

yup like the other poster said it has a hard skeleton. talking to a ladie at a newer fish store about them. this is what she told me. they need a mature tank with lots of pods, crustations,brine shrimp for it to feed on through out the day so it needs to be placed on a sand bed wtih bright lights. each arm needs to be fed for proper health. wish i would of met her before i bought one... mine last around 2-3 weeks before it melted away...

reefforbrains

See, this is where I get chastised. Don't make me roll up another newspaper.
MH vs T5 both can work wonderfully for ALL corals. I personally prefer MH but that is just my choice. Each tank and each system has a best choice for any given setting.
This completly depends on what you want to house, or how you want the tank to look and function. Many factors to consider before making any blanket statements about how one or the other is superior.

cafero702

Originally Posted by loopy101
http:///forum/post/3088849
yup like the other poster said it has a hard skeleton. talking to a ladie at a newer fish store about them. this is what she told me. they need a mature tank with lots of pods, crustations,brine shrimp for it to feed on through out the day so it needs to be placed on a sand bed wtih bright lights. each arm needs to be fed for proper health. wish i would of met her before i bought one... mine last around 2-3 weeks before it melted away...
when u put it in ur tank did it do good at first?? the one i bought today i acclimated it and put in my tank 30 min ago and its all open up already not fully extended but all the polyps are open and half way out. But i have mine up on my rock work i found a perfect spot for it. Should i move it??
The store i bought it from isnt really known for its corals and i some what checked out the faculity (checked out there lights and such) it looked like they were under power compacts and there coral tanks r quite dirty. the store is more known for there fish. anyways the flower pot looked awesome in the store and my tank is very mature. But it hasnt even been a day im hoping for the best

loopy101

i am just saying what the ladie told me at the store. the one i bought looked great for a week or two then just melted away. i bought it as a impulse buy and didnt do my research on it first and the store said oyea its easy to keep and that was under t5 lighting in the store i also kepted it up on the rocks as well but one thing i have learned about this hobby is that what works in your tank may not work in my tank and what works in my tank may not work in yours.... they are a very pretty coral!! and would love to try one again some day!!
If i was you i would google the coral and do alot of reading on it and go with what you read about it. im sure even if you did some searches on this website you will find more info as well!

meowzer

HI LOOPY....
I have a flower pot...was doing great for a couple of months...all of a sudden was not opening. Thought it was too high...moved it down...still not opening...have no clue
everything else is doing great....water is great.....lighting is great...go figure

loopy101

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3089050
HI LOOPY....
I have a flower pot...was doing great for a couple of months...all of a sudden was not opening. Thought it was too high...moved it down...still not opening...have no clue
everything else is doing great....water is great.....lighting is great...go figure
Hi meowzer

some people have great luck with flowerpots but not me! lol im just relaying what the ladie told me about the flower pot. dont know if its correct or not but it did make sence to me..
there was a post not to long ago on here that someones flower pot had babys but i never found the thread again to find out the outcome...

meowzer

I think that was Jackri......I remember ...mine was still doing good at the time....it has been the last coupld of weeks it has been going downhill

cafero702

Should i be putting calcium in my tank for this flower pot???
and how does a flowerpot have babys? like it spreads?

meowzer

I would not add anything.....if you do regular water changes your calcium levels should be okay...Do you test for calcium? Also YES, I believe they spread with new polyps

cafero702

http:///forum/post/3089667
I would not add anything.....if you do regular water changes your calcium levels should be okay...Do you test for calcium? Also YES, I believe they spread with new polyps
Yes i do reegular waterchanges but i have never tested for calcium at all i thought like LPS and SPS's thrive on calcium. And all i get is softy corals because i only have powercompacts so i dont know what would do good in my tank with my lighting. And i bought the flower pot on an impulse buy it was a great deal and it is doing great in my tank right now.
Any other things i should do besides testing my calcium??
its in my rockwork right now should i move it down to my sandbed? or should i keep it up high in my rockwork because of my lights?

cafero702

http:///forum/post/3089687
hmmm...you have pc lights....I really think they need higher lighting
i know i only get softys for my tank but i was at a LFS and it was really cheap and i did not know anyhting about flower pots at the time so i bought it. lol
But now it is doing really well in my tank its only the 2nd day and it is fully extended and looks awesome but it is up in my rock work ill take some pics soon.
Ive just heard it does best in the sand but not sure if i should move it because my tank is a 140g and about 3 feet high??

meowzer

140g....3' high!!!!!...with pc lights...you better put it wayyyyy up top....Don't know if that will be nearly enough light though
Maybe someone else will chime in

jackri

I've never fed my flower pot and I've had it a year plus. It's under halide lighting and yes it's had babies... meaning it has little growth bumps that I just picked off. I've picked off 2 and I'm going to be picking off 3 more.
Now -- My flower pot has done great up to this point and can be seen in my main tank and frag tank threads.... but I see the end in site for my mother colony. It is receding from the bottom up and receding quite fast the past week. I'll be picking off more babies and that could be causing an infection (which happens easy from what I've heard). Anyways... I'll be using one of the babies in my display as I excpect the mother colony to fade away and I'll have 5 babies at least left.... so.. yes doing great that I've gotten 5 frags... bad as the mother colony with probably die within the next two weeks if the recession continues.