Fluffin or churning your sand???

lil.guppy

Ok after having my major green water and ammonia outbreak im freaking about leaving my sand alone. I feel like I should be churning it once a month or siphoning it once every 2 weeks or something.
I guess you could say, how or when am I supposed to be cleaning this tank.

joe____17

Wait you're freaking out about leaving it alone? Do you have a skimmer ? How much are you feeding exactly?

E

eric b 125

there's a lot of stuff in our sand that, if the sand is churned up, will be released and cause a spike in the chemistry. if the top of your sandbed looks dirty, then add a powerhead or two and it will keep things suspended in the water column until it gets picked up by your skimmer or other filtration.

spanko

Also make sure you have enough clean up crew to keep it clean. Nassarius, Cerith, Fighting Conch all do wonders for the sandbed.

S

smartorl

Churning your sand is the very last thing you want to do! Please, please, please leave it alone.

naclh2o nut

How deep is your sand. I have a very thin layer on bottom so if it looks a little nasty i can stir it up in spots and no ill effects.
If the bed is more then a an inch or so then leave it alone.

lil.guppy

ok cause I saw a youtube video awhile back of a professional aquarium cleaning company and he would grab the sand with his hand and then let it go and he said it would release any toxins in the sand.

My sand bed is about 2.5'' in the back and 1.5 in the front

meowzer

I have a 4" sand bed in my 225g and I would NEVER stir it up...I have snails, clearner clams, and a sand sifter fish.....If you think you have a problem with you sand get some cleaner clams, and more snails (sand snails)

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3009192
I have a 4" sand bed in my 225g and I would NEVER stir it up...I have snails, clearner clams, and a sand sifter fish.....If you think you have a problem with you sand get some cleaner clams, and more snails (sand snails)
+1
I have a 3 inch sand bed and my sleeper goby is the only caretaker, and my sand looks great. I know there are many choices on a sand sifter so pick one or two and stop worrying. Don't do it yourself, the critters were born for that purpose, they are the experts and know just how much to sift and when.
You have certainly had enough grief with stirred up sand to last a lifetime, I would be afraid too.

lil.guppy

Right now I have one good size turbo snail, 1 coral bandid shrimp and 2 small crabs.
I am thinking I need more but I dont know how much more. I dont seem to have an algae problem so Im thinking I just need more sand creatures.

meowzer

Get some cerith snails, and some nassarius snails....you have a 46G right? So I would get a dozen of each...IMO

E

eric b 125

Originally Posted by lil.guppy
http:///forum/post/3009174
ok cause I saw a youtube video awhile back of a professional aquarium cleaning company and he would grab the sand with his hand and then let it go and he said it would release any toxins in the sand.

My sand bed is about 2.5'' in the back and 1.5 in the front
exactly, it releases toxins from the sand, into the water where it can cause harm to your livestock.

lil.guppy

ok this is what I am getting
Am I missing anything?
Blueleg Hermit Crab - Group of 10
Cleaner Clam
Scarlet Hermit Crab 2
Nassarius Snail - Group of 10
Turbo/Astrea Snail - Group of 10
Brittle Starfish
in a 46g

pete159

you can siphon the very top most layer of the sand, just to suck up the gunk, but stirring it up will just give me more ammonia most likely. An established tank should never have an ammonia reading, if it does then the bio filter is not powerful enough and you should invest in more live rock, a good skimmer if you do not have one. On my 46g bowfront I have 35lbs live rock, a small canister filter and an emperor 80 HOb filter to help out with the bio filtration.

kmart189

Just curious what kinda flow do you have. I don't have a cleanup crew in my dt and just clean the sand off when doing water changes. My sand is always clean. I have a 150 + 35g sump with two modded maxijet 1200's puts alot of flow out!

lil.guppy

My sand is clean except for the fish poo sitting in a specific spot.
I have 70lbs of fiji and a HOB filter. I do think I need more filtration and want to upgrade to a larger one, but I am wondering if a canister filter would be better

kmart189

Originally Posted by lil.guppy
http:///forum/post/3009885
My sand is clean except for the fish poo sitting in a specific spot.
I have 70lbs of fiji and a HOB filter. I do think I need more filtration and want to upgrade to a larger one, but I am wondering if a canister filter would be better
Canister filters suck I had one and had to switch to a sump since I was having hlle problems with my lionfish. Unless you are going to use it in your sump for part of the day to polish the water. Then it isn't worth the money unless you already have it or pick one up dirt cheap. What size tank is this?

meowzer

Canister filters are as good as the person running it....I happen to like them...And canister filters do not cause HLLE....Carbon can be a contributing factor though. I run canisters for flow, and I have ceramic media on the inside.
IMO