foam under tank

fishntx

i hear about putting foam under your tank. exactly what kind of foam this is and is it neccessary.also where can you find it

dogstar

Styrofoam sheets." Not necessary. " I did for any possible/future gabs or warping of the stand. Temperature insulating. Thin kind like 1/4 inch or so. Get it at any home supply store. Some people use heavy thick roofing paper too.

9lives

The main reason for the foam is because no matter how hard you try,you sometime have trouble getting the top of the stand flat. It just makes it safer for you tank,especially if it's a large tank.
I have 1/2inch pink foam sheet under mine because I got tired of trying to sand out all the gaps.Just required a little trim around the tank.

acrylic51

Yep the foam is for minor imperfections in the top of the stands.....Some manufactures recommend this and will void the warranty if not done.....Check with the tank manufacture.....I use 3/4" thick foam an under weight of water and such doesn't noticeably compress....You can get it at Lowes or HD in the insulation section of the store. HTH

teaggs

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Yep the foam is for minor imperfections in the top of the stands.....Some manufactures recommend this and will void the warranty if not done.....Check with the tank manufacture.....I use 3/4" thick foam an under weight of water and such doesn't noticeably compress....You can get it at Lowes or HD in the insulation section of the store. HTH
Would this be needed for my AGA 38 gallon that is going underneath of my Oceanic stand as my sump? I would get the 3/4 in pink stuff from Home Depot

cgrant

well, i think your only supposed to use the foam for acrylic tanks?
maybe acrylic can let us know 4-sure?
I do know when i purchased my 210 i called aga and asked them how they recommend i setup the tank and stand, i did also ask them about the foam.
The lady on the phone did tell me that if i put the foam on and the tank leaked they would not warantee the tank, she said they have had problems with the foam getting wet and basically packing down and making the tank leak due to the uneven pressure on the tank after that happens. Now maybe they didnt use the correct foam? I dont know?
I was instructed by aga to level the stand from the bottom only, i did that and the tank is level, nothing in-between tank and stand.
I thought i remember seeing a thread that said you are supposed to use the foam for acrylic but not an all glass tank?
Acylic51 can prob let us know!

acrylic51

I don't think there is any reason to put it under the tank of that size....Is the inside of the stand level? If it's level I wouldn't concern myself with that....JMO

watertight

It's recommended for glass tanks here, and as mentioned before, there are tank manufacturers that won't warranty the tank if you don't use it. I always use it, it's about the cheapest insurance you can get IMO.
I have had 1 problem with it tho - once I sat a 55 gallon tank on its stand and didn't realise that as I put the tank down, the styro moved about an inch to the left, which left the end of the tank overhanging the styro by about an inch. I didn't notice till after the tank was filled and all back together. About 3 weeks later there was a loud bang, and water started leaking from the tank. I had 2 Oscars in there, so it was a mad rush trying to get them out, collect the leaking water, turn off electrics, etc. When the tank was drained I checked it, and sure enough, the crack was through the bottom, directly over where the edge of the styro had been.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by teaggs
Would this be needed for my AGA 38 gallon that is going underneath of my Oceanic stand as my sump? I would get the 3/4 in pink stuff from Home Depot
Check with AGA if they say no don't for warranty purposes

bigb

Foam is not used under glass tanks, they all have that trim edging. Glass tanks rest on their outer edges. That is why all the manufactured stands don't have solid tops.
Glass is solid not flexible like acrylic. You put the foam under an acrylic tank to even out the pressure for any minor unlevel stands.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by BigB
Foam is not used under glass tanks, they all have that trim edging. Glass tanks rest on their outer edges. That is why all the manufactured stands don't have solid tops.
Glass is solid not flexible like acrylic. You put the foam under an acrylic tank to even out the pressure for any minor unlevel stands.
Wrong!!!!! it depends on the tank manufacturer, and that's not debateable, and I know glass tanks the weight is distributed on the ends and such, but maybe call around and talk to glass tank builders on that one.....I can pull you a warranty card on a specific glass tank builder and it says right on the warranty card that non use of foam VOIDS WARRANTY!!!!!!

bigb

Your warranty pulling won't impress me. What, Glass Cages- top quality builder there!
Even with their poor quality and huge 90 day gaurantee. They DO NOT have the trim edges like Oceanic, AGA/Perfecto.
If you were to spend top dollar and go with Miracles in Glass, you would also find out that they don't have that trim edge and you would be using foam and a stand that supported more than just the edges.

acrylic51

Oh Miracles in Glass just read about them.......Real impressed!!!!!! GlassCages is perfectly fine, and I guess your a builder as well.....Sorry to inform your lack of info, but my tank does have the trim, so get the facts straight and Miracles on Glass isn't as impressive as what you think.....they have issues with getting their products out on time.......So that's real impressive......

acrylic51

Your warranty pulling won't impress me. What, Glass Cages- top quality builder there!
Even with their poor quality and huge 90 day gaurantee. They DO NOT have the trim edges like Oceanic, AGA/Perfecto.
If you were to spend top dollar and go with Miracles in Glass, you would also find out that they don't have that trim edge and you would be using foam and a stand that supported more than just the edges.
And or the record if you consider Oceanic quality.....
that's why their tanks blow out.......

bigb

No, not a builder, but not a glass tank owner either. The original Q was about using the foam. I simply explained why we use it under acrylic and the glass tanks without trim.
You brought in the builder issue. I have seen some very ugly Glass cages tanks and a few decent ones I decided not to roll the dice and hope for a good tank. I've also heard way too many horror stories abot GC blowouts. (end of GC bashing)
Yeah, I've read all the complaints about Miracles in Glass and the timlieness, but that is the only complaint I've seen.
BTW- Never in my post did I state that I considered Oceanic a quality brand.

acrylic51

The point of your post is your going by all hear say.....Have you actually seen Toms' work in person, been to his shop????? How about the wrong size holes in overflow and poor service and leakage on top of that and don't want to honor their warranty or screw ups as well!!!!!!!
Like I said in my post I wouldn't but advised to contact the manufacturer of the tank to see what they recommend......

acrylic51

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Check with AGA if they say no don't for warranty purposes
Like I said contact the manufacturer so there's no doubt which way to go.....Thanks bigb

bigb

I have seen some very ugly Glass cages tanks and a few decent ones I decided not to roll the dice and hope for a good tank. I've also heard way too many horror stories abot GC blowouts. (end of GC bashing)
You must've missed that. A guy in our local club had a GC blowout and it wasn't pretty. He confirmed all the poor service/warranty issues- in person not via a message board.
No, like I said, I wasn't interested in them as a builder so I didn't feel the need to drive to Tennessee.
As for Miracles- true all I know is hearsay. Once again, from what I've read
, when the people finally got their tanks they were pleased.
The big manufacturer waranties pretty much state that unless you put their tank on their manufactured stand (or a stand deemed worthy of supporting the weight- no furniture/dressers) then the warranty is void.
Yes I contacted several when I considered going with a large glass tank.
Of course they all advised using their stands- which doesn't do much for people doing inwall.