Fondant?!

emmitt

You werent happy with the eyes?!?!?!?!?!
That is an AMAZING cake! Much better than any i have paid for for any of my kid's birthday's. We had a Dora cake for my daughters 4th on sunday. It was really nice but not THAT nice!

tnt

That's actually why I started decorating cakes in the first place. My niece had her 1st birthday last December and the last few cakes I had ordered were very disappointing. I wanted her to have a cool Dora cake.
Thank you very much for the compliments.
Surely I can't be the only one on here that is playing with cakes! Let's see some pics people!

scotts

I have not played with any fondant yet. I got a recipe from Wilton for a marshmellow fondant, even bought the marshmellows and the sugar. I think maybe tomorrow I can schedule in some stime with the kids to make it. I will admit that my cakes will look NOTHING like yours. I just want to make a better looking cake, I do not have the artistic talen to make a cake like yours.

tnt

You'd laugh if I posted some of my first cakes! You learn a little bit more with each cake you do. I'm by no means to the point of selling my cakes yet. I think I'll try covering a cake with fondant this week. We'll see what that looks like! I think smoothing the fondant on the cake will be challenging, but the roses and other decorations will be fairly easy. How old are your kids? The fondant is like playdoh. I think it will be fun for them.

scotts

Well we made the marshmellow fondant yesterday. A word of warning if you do it, let your 11 year old daughter watch you the first time, do not let her mix up the ingredients. Let me just say that after our hands were covered in marshmellow goo I decided to start again. I also think I have got almost all of the sicky sugar residue off the floor now. The second batch went much better. It seems pretty good, just make sure to have lots of powdered sugar to keep working onto the fondant. I am going to try something ambitious. Hopefully if it works out I will post pictures, if not well it will be pretty ugly.

tnt

Hey Scotts, made any cakes yet? I haven't seen any pics.
Here's my latest. Another bear cake. It was the first one I did for someone other than family.

tnt

Thanks, but I'm amateur for sure. It's just for fun.
Doesn't anybody else on here decorate?

scotts

Well first of all I have a new computer so now I can play with the smilies like this.... :happyfish :jumping:
Let me tell you how great your cakes look. I did try a Nascar car cake covered in fondant. I can say that if you squinted real hard and I told you what you were looking at then you could tell that it was a car cake.
I did get a cake decorating kit for my birthday, no mid life crisis for me, some guys buy a Porsche for their 41st birthday, I get a cake decorating kit.
Since my wife is in a diet until Thanksgiving I guess I will have to make a cake for dessert on Thanksgiving. Thanks for reminding me.

tnt

I've made some fondant roses and that's it. I think I'm going to work on my buttercream skills before I try it again.
Yeah, cakes are hell on diets. Although I do find that by the time I'm finished with a cake, I'm so sick of the sweet smell, I don't eat any.
Good luck with your Thanksgiving dessert. Post pics!
I still can't believe no one else on here decorates.