FOOD... dry seaweed

wade163

Hey gang, I have a question about food. I went to the fish store and got some seaweed select, green marine algae. I have introduced more than once, meaning that this is NOT the first time I have placed it in my tank. It seems to go to waste EVERYTIME. It came with the a free clip so I take about a 3X3 in. square and place it on the clip on the front glass. THEY ARE NOT EATING IT. Its like they are almost scared of it. I have a yellow tang, a blue hippo that I am most intrested in eating it. Does anyone have any techniques to get them to eat it, or what I could do differently. Any help would be great!!!

reefchaser

Wade,
My fish did the same thing untill I moved the seaweed closer to where he likes to hang out after that I cant keep any on the clip might be worth a try.

reefchaser

With mine I dont think he liked all the activity in the front of the tank being that everyone but him was hanging out there, he was in the back so i put the clip in the back but that is just my experience. Have you tried soaking the seaweed in garlic?

wade163

it has some in it. It may not be enough, but it does. So the question becomes how do I get a peice of seaweed to sink to the bottom where he hangs out and still remove it when I need to???

sueandherzoo

Similar problem here, UNTIL I started sinking the algae clip to the bottom of the tank. Now everyone goes after it like crazy and none goes to waste. Use a piece of fishing line (or something similar) to tie something heavy to the clip (there's usually a hole in the clip's handle) and just let it fall to the bottom of the tank. Then you can use tongs to get it out when you need to refill it (or your arm) or you can go the extra step and tie another long piece of fishing line that you keep draped outside the tank to reel the clip up when you need to.
Mine never ate the algae when it was suctioned to the glass either - putting it on the bottom of the tank did the trick.
Sue

firestorm

put mine on the side glass where I let algea grow already (so they were used to snacking there).
They wouldn't touch it on my front glass.....

unleashed

i wouldnt worry to much about them eating it.its not a staple diet for any fish its meant as more of a treat than anything else.as long as your using foods that have an algae and plant base to it your fish will get there veggie needs met. heck i still have the same 3 packs of each type i purchased 6 yrs ago..lol red brown and green

florida joe

I would just say that if your fish is an herbivore and you feed a food that is for omnivores and your tank does not have abundant algae growth you will need to supplement with algae sheets IMO

unleashed

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3016769
I would just say that if your fish is an herbivore and you feed a food that is for omnivores and your tank does not have abundant algae growth you will need to supplement with algae sheets IMO
they make foods for herbavores as well as omnivores such as kelp flakes veggie flakes .emerald entrese.formula 2.. just to name a few.. all much better than dried seaweed sheets(as they lose minerals due to drying process

florida joe

All points well made. My only thought is this. If you have tangs in your aquarium you have fish with voracious appetites for algae. To get the same amount of greens available to them that are supplied by a piece of nori you would need a large amount of flake food, cubes or pellets and you run the risk of such large amounts of those foods not being eaten but winding up in our substrate or sucked into our mechanical filters. With the nori on a clip the fish pick at the food eat it and you are in more control of solid waist resulting in uneaten food if there is any. This of course is just my own opinion