Food question? Marinesnow, zooplex, phyto, reef roids

katsafados

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3168635
You can damage the skin of the gorg with a toothbrush... it you damage the skin it is extremely hard to get them to recover and is usually the start of the downward spiral.
Good to know then!
I already used the tooth brush on it acouple of times. But its a soft bristle brush and I just gently touch it, nothing to rough. I dont think I've damaged it yet. It looks pretty healthy to me, I always noticve new growth, and the stocks are pretty thick. I picked the largest thickest gorg in my LFS. The white polops or w.e only extend at night and when it tastes the phyto in the tank. They dont really stay out most of the day. The other itmes it extends would be randomly throughout the day.

cranberry

Photosynthetic gorgs being kept in a normal setups don't have a good track record of long term survival.

katsafados

http:///forum/post/3168637
Cyano can come in many many different colours. It can smother corals, but it's more of an indication of water quality. Heavily fed or minimally maintained tanks will show signs of nuisance algae/cyano.
I can admite my tank is sometimes heavily fed. (only when I spot feed my corals) But I'm working on that! I have lightened up on feedings. Sometimes I feed every other day once a day. Sometimes I'll feed every day, depending on how my corals look (if there extended and ready to eat).
I read that most fish dont regularly eat every day i nthe wild. So why feed them that much in the tank!
I've been doing the same thing with my freshwater cichlids and I've seen a masive sprout in growth (oddly enough).

katsafados

http:///forum/post/3168640
Photosynthetic gorgs being kept in a normal setups don't have a good track record of long term survival.
So I've heard!
I'm determined to change that;) I realkly like my gorg. It adds a nice splash of colour.

cranberry

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3168641
I can admite my tank is sometimes heavily fed. (only when I spot feed my corals) But I'm working on that! I have lightened up on feedings. Sometimes I feed every other day once a day. Sometimes I'll feed every day, depending on how my corals look (if there extended and ready to eat).
I read that most fish dont regularly eat every day i nthe wild. So why feed them that much in the tank!
I've been doing the same thing with my freshwater cichlids and I've seen a masive sprout in growth (oddly enough).
You have to heavily feed your tank... your gorg will die if you don't. That's the problem with tanks with gorgs, people have actually crashed their tanks by trying to give them enough food to thrive and grow long term. The water density of food has to be the same whether you are feeding 1 or 1 million gorgs. There has to be a certain amount of food ratio around them to be able to capture enough food items. That would mean pouring more products in your tank then it can use. These food items will not be utilized and will break down and produce organics that will be used as fuel.... for such nuisances as cyano. Gorgs don't feed only once or twice a day. They also need to be continuously bathed in food items to survive long term.
I'm starting a non-photosynthetic coldwater tank in the spring when we move.
One thing many of the successful nonphoto tanks have in common is their lighting is subdued... that's actually really important IMO. What lights do you have going on over there?

katsafados

That makes sence.. I dont know I guess I'll experiment and hopefully it stays alive long term!
I have 2x40 watt pc w/ lunar led. Its by current.

cranberry

Does it say in there anywhere how long this tank has been stocked. I couldn't find it, but I could be missing it.

spanko

Did not see it Renee, but Uhuru over on N R is using the same food with Phyto mixed in. You can see it in his Elos NPS thread.

cranberry

Remember that Henry is sharing some valuable outside information that may help you learn to keep these critters.
I believe you tank is too small to be pulled off long term if you feed in properly. Non photosynthetic gorgs do best when placed in non photosynthetic designed tanks... not ones that are primarily for photosynthetic critters. Your required heavy feedings is going to cause the organics in there to be difficult to handle after awhile. Your light is too bright for a nonphotosynthestic tank, coupled with the high nutrients you will eventually have smothering nuisance algaes creeping in.

katsafados

I put the gorg infront of the PH to combate that algae growth. Since algae doent like flow it should be fine.

katsafados

Yeah its more passing by it, but you can still feel the flow hitting it. Also you can see the tips of it slightly moving.
I moved the power head away from it once, and it stopped opening up, so I guess it likes its flow.