Food question? Marinesnow, zooplex, phyto, reef roids

katsafados

I have just recently ran out of marinesnow and phytoplankton, so I was about to place an order when I saw zooplex and reef roids.
Has anyone used these particular products? Are they wroth buying them? Should I buy one over the other? Ect.
I also heard marine snow is pointless to a closed system, can someone tell me if I'm wasting my money on it?
Please give any additional information on the products, or other similar products that are worth purchasing for filter feeders/ corals.
Thanks!

meowzer

OK....LOL...I have marine Snow...rarely use it...would I buy it again....hmmmm..NO...cause I rarely use it...LOL
I also have Zooplex....guess what...I rarely use it ....I have the 64oz bottle, so I think I will have it for a long time too....would I buy again....doubtful
I have some other stuff called Zooplanktos-M...and I also had some Zooplanktos-S
Attachment 234164
This stuff I would buy again....I do not use a lot, or on any typoe of schedule either....just when I remember to...I squirt some in the tank
NOWWWWW for the oily film issue.....you need more water agitation

katsafados

is there any particular reason you dont use the zooplex or the marine snow that often? Also why would you buy the other zooplankton other than zooplex?
I also have no room for surface adgitators in the refug.. so cant really do ne thing about that.. my best bet was the surface skimmer.

meowzer

I liked the color of the zooplankton better....LOL I do not use the marine snow that much cause after being on SWF I have not read anything good about it
OK...IF I REMEMBER...when I put the contents of zooplex against the contents of the zooplankton.....the plankton seemed better.....
CAN you put a small powerhead in there???? Do you have a place for a piece of floss??? Something that will absorb the oily stuff...

katsafados

By looking at them they looked better??? Or did you compare the analysis of one and the other??? lol To me it sound slike more of a guess rather than a factual assumption. EXPAND MEOWZER! EXPAND! nevermind working while your talking to me haha.
I can fit filter floss in there, but I dont think that would do anything. I hav the phosphate pad in there as another filter kinda think and it hasnt gotten the film out. Wouldnt it have the same effect as filter floss? Unless you ment line the top of the fuge with filter to stop things from falling in? and if so, how will the light pass through? haha

meowzer

LOL...I have to work too you know....
I compared the analysis of each....the plankton stuff seemed more "nutritious" lol...
IDK how your sump is set up....I have a piece of felt like material before my water enters the fuge, and I have a piece of floss after fuge, and before water hits return pump....BUT I belive my system is bigger than yours..lol

rlablan

When I was using the marine snow alot, I got cyano. And that was like dosing.... 1/2 cup every 2 or so weeks in my 240 gallon system. It took forever to get all the cyano out, and I never bought that stuff again. I have something call zooplex, from kent and I like it. I can see it, it's like little red thingies... I like that I can see where it goes.
I also use coralfrenzy. It is a little expensive but it is really good and my whole reef loves this stuff!!! You just mix it into a few table spoons of tank water and then dump in. I like to shut down the flow and put it in a syringe and spot feed everyone, about once a month. I couldn't be happier with this stuff. sometimes, I mix it with liquid iodonium and strontonium and tank water and then feed that. Seems to be working well for me.
I don't know about anything called reef roids. lol sounds like something made for a fish tank owned by the governator. hahahaha

reefkprz

I would avoid most bottled products as your generally paying for water.
I use Cyclops, oyster eggs, rotifers, mysis (occasionally live phyto, but I dont have many herbivorous live stock in my tank), fish puree (the same mix as my fish food only super blended for the finest particles possible).
If your trying to feed gorgonians or sponges or feathersdusters, clams, fresh live phyto is the best.
if your trying to feed other corals (just about everything except gogonians) you want Zooplankton, which is stuff like rotifers, cyclops, oyster eggs, mysys for the LPS. dont pay for the water buy the frozen cubes or bricks and save your self a small fortune over the course of the year.

cranberry

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3167493
occasionally live phyto, but I dont have many herbivorous live stock in my tank
That's not the purpose of phyto. Most corals can't really do much with phyto unless it is a filter feeder. Phyto feeds the pods which your corals eat. All those reef roids and cyclops stuff are just pod substitutes. If you boost your live pod population, your corals will have all the natural, non-polluting food it can eat.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3167496
That's not the purpose of phyto. Most corals can't really do much with phyto unless it is a filter feeder. Phyto feeds the pods which your corals eat. All those reef roids and cyclops stuff are just pod substitutes. If you boost your live pod population, your corals will have all the natural, non-polluting food it can eat.
I see what your saying.
all the food I feed are available on the reef, the cyclops, the mysis etc, live phyo is also available and does feed pods, but corals do not live on pods alone, and quite a few arent capable of capturing prey as large as pods, some even consume clumps of bacteria (floc) so rather than limit myself to a one channel strategy, I like to throw as much in the mix as possible (as long as I know whats in the mix).
on the other foot phyto supply is rather inconsistent here, and I cant make myself trust phyto that has been shipped, so I cant rely on it as a food source to sustain a boosted population of pods. Even if there was a perfect supply of live phyto available to me, I know I wouldnt eliminate any of the other food, I would just add phyto on a more regular basis.

cranberry

I'm not the type that can pour minute dead stuff in my tank, it makes me squirm. If I was having trouble keeping corals alive maybe I would investigate other food sources further. But I've had tanks for over 10 years and have never added coral food so I guess in my case I don't see the advantageous. Now, I do target feed the Dendros and Duncans etc, but with meatier items or a couple of pellets of fish food.

reefkprz

http:///forum/post/3167511
I'm not the type that can pour minute dead stuff in my tank, it makes me squirm. If I was having trouble keeping corals alive maybe I would investigate other food sources further. But I've had tanks for over 10 years and have never added coral food so I guess in my case I don't see the advantageous. Now, I do target feed the Dendros and Duncans etc, but with meatier items or a couple of pellets of fish food.
I'm not disparaging your methods at all. I think your method is very effective, and probably a route more hobbyests should take, when possible.
the crux of our dismay as long time reefkeepers, is taking coral growth to the next level to go from what was 10 years ago, hey it "lived for 3 months, thats a new record", to 7 years ago where we could make just about anything "survive", to now and hopefully into the future making them "thrive" we know the food avaiablilty on the reefs are unmatched in our closed systems due to our limited ability to remove the by-products. IME, the more food avaiable (heres the tough part) with out overloading the tanks systems the better.
through my feeding madness I have managed to reach levels of growth that seem to be faster than most of the other growers in the area. and about the only things I can narrow it down to is, food availability and water quality. I do 25% water changes once a week and 50% once a month. with regular feedings 5-7 times a day, and heavy skimming (I even feed skimmate to my tank) my thought on that is simply to provide the bacterial clusters that form in the cup to the corals as food I'm not talking week old skimmer sludge but 2-3 day skimwater.
maybe I'm the crazy guy but it works.

katsafados

Well I usually feed mysis, with vitamins (zoe, selcon, zoecon, vitachem(not all together)) and the bottled phyto feast and marine snow. I also incorperate live brine feedings usually every 3 days(depending how long it takes to hatch) + phyto and marine snow again. Then I'll feed my home made food (chopped up, haddock, scallops, green algae, shrimp, brine(frozen), mysis) + phyto and marine snow every once in a while.
Those feedings seemed to have worked for me so far. I always have to incorperate the phyto and marine snow for my red gorg and my coco worm. which needs tons of food to stay alive.
I dont really know how to culture phyto, nor would I know how to keep live cultures live untill they get used up! So I dont know about feeding live to the tank. I know live is better then the bottled stuff, its just common sence, but when you dont know how to keep those cultures or possibly have the time to grow them, you have to resort to other means.
The bottled stuff is pretty much my only choice, be it watered down or not! I also dont think they would really chince you out on phyto in a bottle since its pretty cheap to culture in those amounts, and they'd like customers comming back for their products. But thats my opinion!
Now, how do you know that the marine snow contributed to your cyano outbreak? Do cyano bacteria even like the ingredients in marine snow? I really doubt thats what caused the outbreak. I'd think marine snow particles would be to large for a bacteria to eat, but then again I dont know how large these marine snow flakes are. As a matter of fact I dont even know what it is period! I heard its something that comes off the rocks that corals like to chow down on in the ocean, but thats a simplistic explaination to me.
This was the first bottle I decided to try out, and so far I havent seen any of the bad side effects everyone seems to complain about. %%
So as of now in question is marine snow(do I really need it, maybe, maybe not, I'll just have to research more, and hear more factual opinions to as why its useless/not good for a closed system).
zooplex I was going to buy is by kent
{EDIT LINK}
Reef roids (seems to have all of the items I'm asking about mixed into it
)
{EDIT LINK}
Phyto
{EDIT LINK}
****Yes I know dont post links, but this is the only site I have personally found that has a decent description of each product. Its also Canadian based site, which ships to the states but much more costly, and not worth it due to the fact its in Toronto, Ontario, Canda. Its like me buying from this site and paying $100 for stuff to be shipped to me, when I can go on another site close and have things shipped to me for much cheaper. Plus I dont agree with the fact that all websites are banned, since what makes the site developers think they are going to stop people from giving eachother tips of whats cheaper ect. Instead of making customers mad about not posting liks ect. (because its annoying haveing to hear someone everytime saying dont do it) why not compete with these other companies and keep people buying from you that way!
Sorry for the read, but I'm a poor student and money is getting tight, so I dont want to buy all these products and find out they are all the same or useless.
Thanks for all the help, and keep the advice comming!
{Removed links - Sorry, but straight links to a store are not easily overlooked. :( these products are brand name products that most are familiar with, so links are not needed to make the point and removing them should not sacrifice the quality of discussion. -Ophiura}

cranberry

Now, how do you know that the marine snow contributed to your cyano outbreak? Do cyano bacteria even like the ingredients in marine snow? I really doubt thats what caused the outbreak. I'd think marine snow particles would be to large for a bacteria to eat, but then again I dont know how large these marine snow flakes are.
The bottle Marine Snow is not eaten directly by the bacteria. The bacteria need excessive nutrients. The breakdown of this product creates organics that the cyano can "eat".
Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3168014
The bottled stuff is pretty much my only choice, be it watered down or not! I also dont think they would really chince you out on phyto in a bottle since its pretty cheap to culture in those amounts, and they'd like customers comming back for their products. But thats my opinion!
None of the live phyto products out there are diluted to try and sell less algae cells. The issue is the number of cells you can have in a given space before they start smothering each other. So a 32 oz bottle, lets say, can only hold "such and such" number of cells successfully. You pack more than ideal in there, and you will then find the cells will die quicker than they would in the appropriate amount of liquid. That's a worse scenario because because peeps will be pouring the dead cells and their decay by products into their tanks.
Some phyto products are greener than than others. Does that mean they cave more cells? Nope, it means they have different species in there. DTs, for example, uses a freshwater phyto in their Reef Blend, which is a very dark phyto. So there isn't more cells in there.... it's just a darker cell to begin with.

katsafados

I thought the bottled phyto was already dead though? So why would they put less of it, in fear of smoothering each cell, if they have already been killed?

cranberry

There are dead phyto products, those I would never use.... but there are also live phyto products out there as well. You'll find the live, or mostly live, products in the fridge at the LFS.
I thought we were talking about the live.

spanko

Coral Frenzy, Cyclpos, Cyclopeeze, and the detritus that I blow up off the rockwork with the turkey baster. And of course anything that is growing and alive in the tank that the coral grabs on its own.

katsafados

http:///forum/post/3168093
There are dead phyto products, those I would never use.... but there are also live phyto products out there as well. You'll find the live, or mostly live, products in the fridge at the LFS.
I thought we were talking about the live.
No lol. I cant keep the live alive. My mom already screams at me for putting the shelfed stuff in her fridge lol, Imagine if I told her it was alive to..
I usually just buy the stuff sitting on the shelf. Nothing bad has yet to happen by using it
The red gorg. seems to like it, and the corals open up wide when they sense it in the tank.